Research Ethics Board
Research Ethics Review Forms
Researchers who submit their research for research ethics review:
Keep in mind that members of the REB review your Form 1 application. Please make sure your application is complete and that you explain your proposed research in detail and in non-technical language. The process is much like a peer –review process for grant applications and manuscripts, etc. If your application is incomplete or lacks sufficient detail, the ethics review process for your file will be delayed.
You will receive an initial response from the REB Officer, followed by a note from the REB Chair 4-6 weeks after submission, sometimes within a shorter time-frame. Usually the REB Chair will have questions for you. A prompt and thorough response from you to the REB Chair enables the review process to continue.
Student research: If the proposed research involves a student research (e.g., thesis, directed study), the faculty supervisor must submit the application to the REB. The REB Chair will communicate directly with the faculty supervisor (students can be copied on all communication). Subsequent communication must come from the faculty supervisor.
The REB Office can walk you through this process and help you with your application. The REB Office can also review your draft application to identify potential difficulties that could be easily fixed before the application goes out for review (saving you time!).
Please visit or contact the Research Ethics Officer to book a consultation at email@example.com.
Language for Informed Consent Forms/Scripts and Feedback letters for your preparation:
Initial Submission Request Forms:
- Form 1 - Application for Ethics Review of Research Involving Humans
- Form 1C - Application for Ethics Review of Research Involving Humans Approved at Another Canadian Institution
Continuing Review Request Forms:
(Electronic Submission to firstname.lastname@example.org, only)
- Unanticipated Issues- Adverse Event Report Form
- Request for Changes to Approved Research- Form 2- Modification Request Form *
- Annual Status Report- Form 3- Annual Renewal Request Form *
- End of Study Report- Form 5- Completion of Research Request Form *
*Electronic submission (of the specified continuing review forms) must be received from the Principal Investigator of the protocol. In case of student research, forms must be received from the Faculty Supervisor. Note, original signature is not required.
Working with Request Forms - Technical Instructions and Tips
Forms are Adobe fillable, savable, PDF forms; work can be saved and returned to at a later time. When working with the forms: 1) Ensure your Adobe Reader is updated, 2) Open the forms using Adobe Reader (otherwise the recipient is unable to view the content of the form.)
The REB advises against opening the forms using Mac Preview. The Software and Application Support Centre (SAS) advises that if Mac Preview is used, after the PDF form is completed in Preview, applicants are to choose Print from the File menu and then use the dialog box's PDF option to save it to PDF.
Additional blank space is available on Form 1 for additional information you many need to convey, and additional supporting documents are welcome along the forms when needed.
For technical assistance while working with the forms please contact the Software and Application Support Centre (SAS) at email@example.com, (902) 496-8168. The SAS reports any technical issues to the Office of Research Ethics.
Application Process- Instructions and Tips
Initial Submission Requests for review and clearance:
- Form 1- Initial Submission:
1 original package, plus 3 copies of:
a) Form 1;
b) Informed Consent Form/Script;
c) all supporting documentation as relevant to the research.
- Form 1C Submission:
a) 1 copy of the original package is required
- Supporting Documents:
Generally, supporting documents are interview protocols, surveys, questionnaires, scales, scripts, draft interview questions, invitation letters, letters of support, feedback forms, debriefing forms, advertisements, other research tools as relevant to the research, letters of support, other REB or government clearances, safety reports involving devices or materials used in the research evidencing compliance to Canadian standards, etc. Form 1 lists options for documents that must be included in the submission.
- Forms are routinely updated. Be sure to download the most current application form from this web page.
Continuing Review Requests (Adverse Event Reporting, Modification, Annual Renewal and Completion of Research requests):
- Submission via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) is accepted as well as the preferred method for both applicants and the Office of Research Ethics due to the time-sensitive nature of these requests. Only one copy of the request form (Adverse Event, Form 2, 3, 5) is required. Requests are accepted from the Principal Investigator of the protocol or, in case of student research, from the Faculty Supervisor, only. Student researchers must ask their supervisors to forward the request.