Leadership Skills for the New Manager
So you've mastered your craft, you've learned the ropes. Now what? You have been, or will be, promoted into a leadership role. What does a manager really do? Management can be both challenging and rewarding and this two-day seminar will help you navigate this new role. Knowing what to expect will give you the confidence to jump in with both feet. The interactive nature of this workshop gives you ample opportunity to listen to and learn from the other participants.
PRE-SEMINAR PREPARATION: Self-assessment is a key ingredient in this seminar. To help you understand your current management competency, you will be asked to do an online assessment. When you complete the assessment, a report that is yours to keep and use during the seminar will be created.
Leadership Skills for the New Manager is a required seminar for the Certificate in Skills for New Managers.
(ONLINE - 3 partial days)
January 18 - 20, 2021
April 14 - 16, 2021
Psychometric profiling for management
- Complete a feedback instrument that assesses Work Style, Energy and Drive, Ability to Work with Others, Problem Solving Ability, Dealing with Stress and Pressure and Identifying and Managing Change and other key factors required by managers
- Receive a 25-page assessment report that can be used as a career path development tool
The Role of the Leader
- Qualities of a high-performance leader
- The Systematic POLCA Management Process
- Managing interpersonal conflict
- Situational Leadership
- Transition to management
- Hands on exploration of typical situations where leadership skills are required
Creating a plan
- Develop a 'Go Forward' action plan to focus your own personal and professional development and to integrate into your career development plans
What You Will Learn
- How your work style, problem solving ability, communication style, and leadership style can be utilized to make the change to management
- Learn how to adapt and adjust your habits and patterns as a leader
- Compare various leadership styles and identify your personal prominent style and its ramifications
- Leave with usable tools and templates to assist in your day to day leadership
- The reason for and how to develop a 'Go Forward' action plan
Who Should Attend?
You will benefit from this seminar if you:
- are a professional and/or staff member contemplating a career in management
- are a professional and/or staff member who will be assuming a management position within your organization
- have moved into a management/leadership position within the last year
- have recently moved into a management or team leader position
- you have been in a management role, but have not had the opportunity for appropriate professional development
- you are a “team lead” with indirect reports or shared employees