Travel to Canada
Timing of your travel to Canada
Saint Mary’s fall term begins September 9, 2020. Classes will be delivered in an online format which means that you can complete your 14-day quarantine period at the same time that you are participating in your online classes. International students living off-campus can arrive at a time of their choosing but should keep in mind that they must immediately quarantine for 14 days according to their plan.
International Students living in residence at Saint Mary’s should arrive on September 5th or afterward, unless you plan to quarantine in a different location before moving into residence starting on September 5th. Please see the residence move-in information you received by email from Housing and Residence staff.
Before travelling to Canada
Before travelling to Canada, you must take the following actions to prepare your quarantine plan:
- Carefully review if you are allowed to travel to Canada.
- Review the quarantine and isolation requirements set by the Government of Canada AND the requirements set by the Province of Nova Scotia.
- Determine and make arrangements for your quarantine accommodations. You must do this before you arrive in Canada. Failure to do so will prevent you from entering the country.
- If you are living in Saint Mary’s residences for the 2020-2021 academic year, your in-residence quarantine arrangements are included. The move-in period begins September 5, 2020.
- If you are living off-campus, you must complete your quarantine period in a place where you can be isolated from all other people. You must have access to food and basic necessities without leaving the quarantine space (unless its for medical reasons).
- If you cannot quarantine in your off-campus housing, there are local hotels in Halifax offering quarantine rates including options for meals or grocery delivery (see below). Contact the International Student Centre for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Determine and make arrangements to travel to your quarantine location. You are required to go directly to your quarantine location, without making any stops. The Saint Mary’s International Student Centre offers a free airport pick-up service for incoming new International students. Complete the airport pick-up application form to arrange this service. Returning international students need to arrange transportation services and are encouraged to use a company that has experience with transferring travelers from the airport to their quarantine destination (see below).
- Download the ArriveCan App which allows you to speed up your arrival process in Canada. Submit your information easily and securely using the App within 48 hours of your arrival in Canada.
While Travelling to Canada
While in transit to the airport, in airports and during flights:
- Pack the following in your carry-on luggage: at least 2 masks, a travel-sized bottle of hand sanitizer and some disinfecting wipes
- Wear a mask at all times
- Wash hands frequently
- Use hand sanitizer when necessary
- Practice physical distancing (minimum 2 metres or 6 feet from others)
- Sanitize your personal space and high-touch areas
- Minimize trips to the washroom (flush the toilet with the seat cover down)
- Touch as few surfaces as possible
- Keep your cell phone charged