Resources for New Students
Saint Mary’s offers a wide range of services to help you get through your first week, month, and year at the University. Whether you’re looking for help with academics, health issues, adjusting to university, or simply want to get out and get involved, there are supports to meet your needs.
Services Offered by Saint Mary’s University
- The Counselling Centre offers a broad range of personal counselling, including academic coaching, to students free of charge. University life can be stressful, but the team of professionals will help you meet your academic and personal goals.
- Welcome to Career Services helps students who are preparing for a job search or who are looking for career counselling. You’ll build your resume and cover letter, prepare for an interview, develop networking skills, and more.
- Career Services can also help you if you’re looking for a job. You’ll find HireSMU, a job bank specifically for Saint Mary’s students, and information on the Halifax Career Fair, and the Summer Job Fair.
- The International Centre ( offers services and events designed to help international students designed adapt to university life. They can help with visas and study permits, health insurance, taxes, airport pick-up, and much more.
- The Student Health Centre is your family health clinic while you’re away from home. They offer a wide variety of services, including prescriptions, vaccines, contraception, blood work, and women’s health services.
- The Fred Smithers Centre offers assistance to students with a documented disability. They’ll help implement support strategies to increase success and also facilitate all exam accommodations.
- Residence Life not only provides you with a place to live for the year, but their Residence Assistants are also always on hand to help you out. They plan hundreds of programs every year to educate and engage students.
- The Patrick Power Library offers students study space, computer access, and access to thousands of books and journals from all over the province. Library staff are always available to help students with research, and the library website offers lots of advice on writing papers, citing sources, and doing research.
- The Writing Centre offers free tutoring and workshops geared towards helping you improve your writing skills. They can help you determine a direction for your paper, improve a paper you’ve already started, and will help identify recurring grammatical errors and structural problems.
- The Service Centre houses Student Accounts, the Registrar’s Office, and Financial Aid & Awards, and can help you with registration, student account payments, scholarships, student loans, and other issues relating to your student file.
Services Offered by the Saint Mary’s University Students’ Association (SMUSA)
- Husky Patrol provides a free and safe drive service to and from the Saint Mary’s campus.
- SMUSA oversees all student societies on campus. Whether you’re looking for an academic society, a cultural society, a community service society, or something more general interest, there’s over 65 opportunities to get involved.