How to Apply
Application opens on TBA 2020
Complete your SLRA online application form to apply.
Section in Application
A Letter of Interest has two components:
Your Leadership roles over the last 12 months
Other Co-Curricular and Paid Involvement takes into account a number of your on- and off- campus achievements and how your activities have influenced the communities you are involved in.
What documents are needed?
Letter of Interest:
A Letter of Interest is an important component in your application package. In the space provided in the application form, we encourage you to write a letter that speaks to your leadership capacity supported by examples, achievements, and goals. Please incorporate examples demonstrating your leadership skills and abilities gained and/or exhibited.
Your letter should be written using a direct style and include the following:
- A detailed outline of your most significant leadership achievements in the past 12 months. Please keep in mind that the SLRA adjudication committee does not know you as an individual and is not aware of your achievements, therefore ensure to provide the whole picture and enough detail for them to fully grasp your involvement.
- Discussion and direct examples of how these achievements and leadership roles demonstrate your specific impact (individually, locally, or globally)
- An explanation of how these experiences relate to you're current short and long-term goals
- We understand many students are modest about their accomplishments but please do not refrain from providing the full impact or scope your involvement due to modesty. The adjudication committee wants to know.
Your letter will be evaluated on the following:
- Initiative and action (ability to recognize opportunities and lead projects)
- Leadership achievements (quantitative and qualitative results in projects, daily activities, etc.)
- Intensity and scope of the impact (impact on your team, group or the community)
- Your Letter of Interest will be limited to 3300 characters (approximately 500 words).
Submit your Official Co-Curricular Record. Please visit the CCR website to learn how you can activate and build a CCR. We advise you to start this early to build a holistic CCR. Please request your Official CCR on the CCR platform and send an email to CCR@smu.ca informing that you want it to be attached to your SLRA application.
Unofficial Academic Transcript:
You can access your unofficial academic transcript from Banner. Please ensure this is dropped off at Career services before the deadline.
- Only one-character reference can be submitted with your application printed on letterhead and be between 1 to 2 pages.
- This must be provided by your supervisor who is affiliated with your leadership activity. c. The letter of reference can be emailed to Career.Services@smu.ca or dropped off at Career Services.
Please ensure this is dropped off at Career Services before the deadline.