The Counselling Centre
Academic & Life Skills Coaching
The focus of this service is to help you learn “student life skills”, which will then have a positive impact on your academic performance. The following resources are free for all Saint Mary’s students!
1. Academic & Life Skills Coaching Appointments
Our Intake & Programs Coordinator meets one-on-one with students to discuss concerns that may be impacting their academic performance and suggest strategies to overcome these challenges. Topics that may be covered in these sessions include goal setting and increasing motivation, learning stress management strategies, developing academic confidence, etc. The first step in accessing this service is to book an intake session.
2. Academic Skills Building Video Series
Because we know it’s important that students feel confident about their academic skills and abilities, we offer the following video series to help with developing academic success strategies.
- Notetaking (discover reasons why notetaking is important, how to prepare before class so you know what to write down, the effectiveness of using the Cornell Notetaking System, and Cues & Clues about what to include in notes)
- Presentation Skills (learn tips for each part of the process: Planning, Preparing, Practicing & Presenting, as well as ways to overcome nervousness and anxiety before and during a presentation)
- Exam Preparation (learn strategies on how to effectively plan and prepare for exams from Day 1 of classes, as well as tips on how to successfully write essay, multiple choice, short answer and true & false tests and exams)
- Time Management (discover how to balance school, work, and social life by planning and prioritizing using an agenda and other tools, as well as saving time by learning an effective active reading system)
- These videos can be found at: https://goo.gl/tr67pF
Please click below to access the video series:
3. Academic Workshops
- Improving Resilience to Achieve Success - January 23rd from 12-12:45pm in McNally East 104
- Academic Success Strategies - January 30th from 2-3pm in Loyola Private Dining Room (PDR)