We make it easy to take care
It’s easy to neglect your health when you’re busy with new classes, a social life, and a packed study schedule. At Saint Mary’s, we offer mandatory Extended Health and Dental Insurance to all full-time students, starting on September 1st each year.
Extended Health: Our comprehensive health plan includes partial coverage for prescription drugs, vision, medical equipment, and practitioners like chiropractors and psychologists.
Saint Mary's University offers Student Extended Health Insurance to all full-time students. The coverage starts as of September 1st each academic year. Students should check with the Health Plan Office on the 5th floor of the Student Centre.
Dental: We cover a wide range of basic dental services, including exams, x-rays, cleanings, scaling and root planing, extractions, and anesthesia.
Travel: We provide emergency, out-of-province health coverage up to $5 million when you travel for under 120 days. Want to extend your coverage? Call 1.877.888.RWAM (7926) for more information.
CANADIAN STUDENTS: Please bring your up-to-date provincial health card and validated student ID to each office visit. If you do not have a health card or if your health card has expired, you will be required to pay for your office visit.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: Please bring your SMUSA International Health Plan card and validated student ID to each office visit. If you have signed a waiver to opt out of the SMUSA International Health Plan, you will be required to pay for your office visit and submit your receipt for payment to your medical insurer unless you have an up-to-date Nova Scotia Medical Insurance card (MSI).
Please note: All coverage is limited to eligible providers, products, and services. Maximums and co-insurance limitations may apply. Find out more about health and dental insurance at Saint Mary’s.
Waivers – Note that if you have your own alternative Health Plan, you may have to pay cash for an office visit. This does not apply to Canadian Students with a Provincial Health Care Plan.
- Women's Health clinic (pelvic and breast exam, Pap smears, pregnancy testing, etc).
- Allergy injections
- Referrals to specialists in all fields
- Physical Examinations for overseas
- Travel, job applications, sports teams, etc.
- Chronic conditions
- Contraception, education, counselling
- STD testing, treatment, information and follow up prenatal visits
- Limited minor surgical procedures
- Follow-up care from emergency room (i.e.: dressing changes)
- Local immunization advice and vaccines
- Laboratory testing - Blood Work: Effective immediately there is a $5 charge for all blood work taken in the Student Health Centre. For FREE service you can go to the Bayers Road blood collection clinic located at 7071 Bayers Road, Suite 141 and you can call 902.454.1661 for more information.
- Anonymous AIDS/HIV testing
- Basic Medications
- Health Education programs: nutrition counselling,
- Ingrown toenail removal
- Mole removal
- Pamphlet information on a wide variety of medical conditions
- Suture removals
- Alternative medicine information
- Emergency contraceptive pill (morning after pill)
- Pregnancy tests
Please Note: A few of these services are not covered by provincial or international health care, e.g. T.B. tests, physicals for athletic teams, driver's license, 3rd parties including employment, insurance applications, etc. Please check regarding payment coverage when booking appointments.
Sexual Violence Support
If you have experienced sexual violence, or for information about university sexual violence supports visit our Sexual Violence Support webpage.
Important telephone numbers
QEII Emergency: 902.473.2043
Poison control: 902.428.8111
Health Services nurse: 902.496.8778 (After hours on call: cell number 902.471.8129)
SANE Helpline: 902.425.0122
If you have any questions, comments or general inquiries, we can also be reached by e-mail
If you have any questions, comments or general inquiries, we can be reached by e-mail at the following addresses:
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Medical Billing)
- 902.420.5611 to book a doctor's appointment
An IMPORTANT message from Saint Mary's Student Health office:
A reminder to all students who have Medical Records at Saint Mary’s University Student Health - PLEASE make sure that you sign a waiver and obtain a copy of your Medical Records BEFORE you leave the province/country. This is a free service, but if you request to have a copy of your chart sent to your home province/country YOU will be charged a fee for obtaining the chart from confidential storage as well as any courier charges for sending it to you. Also, it is IMPORTANT for you to keep your own personal record of the vaccinations you and your child received at Saint Mary’s University Student Health.