Fred Smithers Centre
Teaching students with disabilities might seem like a challenging task, but we're here to help you prepare and equip yourself to accommodate students.
Faculty and staff are encouraged to:
- Accommodate students with disabilities while ensuring academic integrity and standards are preserved;
- Work collaboratively with students with disabilities, the Fred Smithers Centre staff, faculty colleagues, administration, and other university employees to ensure that approved accommodations are implemented in a manner that protects the student's dignity, as well as their right to privacy and confidentiality; and
- Consult with the Fred Smithers Centre regarding accommodations for students who are not registered with the centre.
Students are responsible for:
- Advising the Fred Smithers Centre of their need for accommodation by registering with the office and providing the appropriate documentation
- Participating in their individual accommodation planning by answering any questions, providing information, and working with Disability Advisors/staff regarding their disability
- Notifying their Disability Advisor of any changes to their needs, or difficulties/concerns regarding their accommodations
The Fred Smithers Centre is responsible for:
- Advising students of available resources and supports, and working with students to develop appropriate accommodations
- Handling accommodation requests in a timely manner
- Maintaining student privacy and confidentiality