Pride in Your Shared Neighbourhood


Below are some of the common fines that the Police may give out. For more information on these by-laws and about mischief and disturbances please see the Quality of Life Brochure.

HRM Noise By-law N200
Sec 3(1): Engaging in activity that unreasonably disturbs neighbourhood

$ 1st offence $463.95
$ 2nd offence $923.95
$ 3rd offence $1268.95

This by-law is intended to allow residents to enjoy their properties. This by-law is in effect 24 hours-a-day and if the noise is unreasonable, tickets will be issued. This section is used for, but is not limited to, the following cases:
• loud parties
• music which can include the volume and/or bass level
• loud televisions
• loud voices, yelling/screaming from a house or pedestrians.

Liquor Control Act
The following sections can be used separately or together.

Sec 78(2): Illegally possessing liquor.
(Possessing it underage or having open liquor in public. This includes going next door/across the street).

Sec 78(3): Underage drinking.

Sec 87(1): Being intoxicated in a public place.

Sec 95(a): Permitting drunkenness to take place in any house or any premises of which he/she is the owner, tenant or occupant.
NIL Fine (must attend court)

You do not have to be intoxicated to be charged for illegally possessing liquor or underage drinking. If you are intoxicated, you can be charged and/or held until sober.