Executive and Professional Development
Master Class in Strategy Execution: The Theory and the Practice
It is estimated that 70-90% of strategies falter in implementation and fail to meet their objectives. Most leaders start out with the best of intentions, but before too long, focus, energy and confidence can start to wane. Strategy execution has to compete for resources and attention with the demands of running the business. Unless you have prepared for this, the urgency of the day-to-day will always win out.
Masters of implementation know there are no tricks or fancy techniques that replace careful planning and hard work. The key to successful implementation of strategy lies in being: organized, committed, disciplined and agile.
Developed and delivered by Alex Lowy, acclaimed business strategist and author. Alex consults widely as a strategic advisor and educator, helping organizations address strategic challenges in a systematic and effective manner. His client work includes technology firms (HP, IBM), banks (CIBC, BMO) resources companies (Shell) and government (Ontario, City of Toronto, Metropolitan Toronto Police Force). He writes extensively on the topic of strategy and decision-making and is the author of several best-selling business books.
Combine with Master Class in Strategy Formulation for the full Strategic Cycle.
DATES - 1 Day Seminar
November 27, 2019
June 17, 2020
Fee: $875 + HST
Facilitator: Alex Lowy, BA, MES
Location: Saint Mary’s University at 1800 Argyle Street 8th Floor Halifax NS
The Four Keys to Successful Strategy Execution
- Organized – there is a plan to follow and a schedule to keep everyone on track – 70% of companies with a formal execution system report outperforming their peer group
- Committed – leaders throughout the organization believe in the strategy and contribute all that is required of them and their business units
- Disciplined – follow-through is expected and recognized. Deviations from the plan are noticed, analyzed and addressed
- Agile – adjustments are made to adapt to changes and faulty assumptions. Flexibility and learning are the necessary complement to being organized and disciplined
Applied Learning Design
The seminar creatively combines theory and application to enrich the learning experience and ensure that participants acquire a practical understanding of the strategy execution process. Seminar design includes:
- Best-practice ideas and models for what works
- Easy to apply methods and tools for organizing and leading implementation
- Assessment of organizational preparedness for strategy execution
- Application of analytic and design tools to each participants’ own organization
What You Will Learn
- The four keys to successful strategy execution
- A practical and effective four phase method for orchestrating and managing the strategy execution process, based on the experience of the most successful organizations
- The major challenges and dilemmas of implementation and how to tackle them
- Strategy execution leadership roles and requirements including: design, governance, coaching and problem solving
Who Should Attend?
You will benefit from this seminar if you:
- are an executive or manager tasked with maintaining direction for the organization/department
- want to be more effective at making better informed strategic decisions
- need to better understand how your organization’s strategic directions should be formulated