MBA (CPA stream)
MBA (CPA Stream)
The Sobey MBA Designed for a Career in Accounting
Success in business demands a multidisciplinary and integrative approach where creative thinking, technical competencies, ethical practices and professional managerial skills are expanded and enhanced. The Sobey MBA (CPA Stream) combines the broad business skills of the MBA degree with the accounting expertise and professional skills demanded for the new Canadian CPA designation—a combination that adds up to professional success.
The Sobey MBA (CPA stream) will provide you with a sought-after business degree, and advanced standings in the CPA Professional Education Program. This part-time, 36 month degree program is structured for full-time working professionals.
- Complete your degree part-time over 36 months, while maintaining your full-time career.
- Access world-class research and faculty and the opportunity to apply knowledge learned in the program to solve problems in your workplace.
- Complete your MBA and obtain your professional work experience while preparing for the professional CPA exam
- Receive advanced standings in the CPA Professional Education Program. Students who complete the MBA (CPA Stream) program will be eligible to write the CPA professional common final exam.
Program Sequence and Delivery
The Sobey MBA (CPA Stream) program is cohort-based with students following a lockstep program of courses (14). Courses will be delivered in an innovative hybrid format with a minimum of three full day face to face classroom sessions every 4-5 weeks combined with web based materials.
- ACCT 6626 Management Information Systems: Strategy & Practice
- ACCT 6641 Financial Reporting and Statement Analysis
- ACCT 6650 Integrative Managerial Accounting I
- ACCT 6652 Integrative Managerial Accounting II
- ACCT 6656 Integrative Financial Accounting
- ACCT 6660 Integrative Public Auditing
- ACCT 6666 Taxation and Financial Planning
- ACCT 6690 Seminar in Accounting
- FINA 6663 Financial Management
- MKTG 6679 Strategic Marketing
- MGSC 6615 Strategic Design and Improvement of Operations
- MGMT6682 Performance Management
- MGTM 6689 Strategic Management
- SMBA 6601 Integrative Management Exercise and successful completion of CPA Integrative Case exam
- SMBA 0010 Professional skills Development (compulsory noncredit)
- An undergraduate degree from a recognized university with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 with the last 2 years GPA of 3.3 or higher.
- Two years of business-related work experience (any field) with a current position in an accounting related area.
- For non-English language candidates, minimum TOEFL 100; IELTS 7.0
- Must have successfully completed the course equivalency of the entry level pre-professional accounting education requirements of the CPA profession as outlined by the prevailing Canadian CPA competency map (minimum acceptable grade in these prerequisite courses is a C+ (67%) with an overall minimum average of B (73%))
- Must be in good standing with a provincial CPA professional body
Application Deadlines and Key Dates
- 15 June 2015 – Application deadline
- September 2015 – Program start
- Time to completion: 36 months (part-time)
Admission to this program requires current membership in a provincial CPA professional body. Students are also required to register with the CPA Atlantic School of Business.
Recruitment and Admissions
Sobey School of Business Graduate Programs
Sobey Building, Saint Mary's University
Faculty of Graduate Studies & Research