International Master of Teaching English as a Second Language
International Master of Teaching English
By 2020, the British Council forecasts that over two billion people will be speaking or learning English. With English becoming the world’s lingua franca, the demand for teachers of English continues to grow.
Saint Mary’s IMTE program prepares graduates for international careers in teaching English as an additional language. The IMTE not only provides you with a sought-after Masters degree in Teaching English as an International Language but includes preparation for various certificates from Cambridge Assessment English, part of England’s world-famous Cambridge University.
IMTE provides a highly interactive, experiential learning experience with an emphasis on work-integrated learning. During intensive practicums, students practice their teaching skills by developing course materials, administering tests and assessments, and working directly with individuals and groups of students. The final semester consists of an intensive practicum that may be completed here in Canada, in an international setting, or in a student’s home country.
Key Benefits of the IMTE
- Saint Mary’s University is a Cambridge English Language Assessment Authorised Centre, part of England’s world-famous Cambridge University
- Saint Mary’s University has a long history of international education and intercultural engagement
- The IMTE Program offers extensive practicum opportunities at the Language Centre, accredited by Languages Canada. Gain exposure to the IELTS, CAEL, TOEFL, and other leading tests used around the globe.
- The IMTE includes opportunities to progress along the Cambridge Teacher Framework, leading to internationally recognized certificates from Cambridge Assessment English
Students applying for Graduate Studies at Saint Mary’s University must submit:
- An online Application Form (Canadian or International) plus the $110 processing fee (non-refundable)
- Official transcripts for all universities and colleges attended
- Three Recommendation Form
- Letter of Intent: Please explain why you are interested in pursuing a career as a teacher in the field, including any prior experience in teaching.
- A current CV/Resume.
- Official proof of English language proficiency (if required)
Our next available cohort is September 2019. Application deadlines:
- May 1, 2019 (international applicants)
- July 1, 2019 (Canadian applicants)
As each IMTE cohort is capped at 20 students, we encourage students to apply early as we issue admissions to qualified candidates on a first come – first served basis.
Estimated tuition fees
Canadian and International Students: $20,000
Fees are paid in four instalments at the beginning of each term. For miscellaneous fees, please us our Graduate Tuition and Fee calculator.