Executive and Professional Development
Essential Facilitation Skills - for team and group leaders
Participation is both a blessing and a curse: a blessing because it brings energy, commitment, and new ideas to our work places and communities and, a curse because the more people that are involved in a group process, the more challenging it is to get good work done. This workshop is designed to help anyone involved in group work keep their team members on track and achieve results in a harmonious and efficient manner. Whether you are a facilitator, supervisor or a committed team member, this workshop will help you develop your ability to design, observe and intervene in group dynamics effectively. Team members and leaders who are educated in how to design, diagnose and intervene in group dynamics are able to confidently meet the challenges that inevitably arise when a group commences its work.
Participants will receive a copy of Facilitator's Guide to Participatory Decision-Making by Sam Kaner, et al.
Essential Facilitation Skills - for team and group leaders is a required seminar for the Certificate in Team Building and Group Dynamics.
DATES - 2 Day Seminar
Observing Group Dynamics
- Observe group dynamics methodically and with purpose
- Sort observations: What's important and what can be ignored
Avoiding Common Pitfalls in Observing Group Dynamics
- Recognize your own biases
- Become a thorough and objective observer
- Examine a variety of ways of interpreting group dynamics
Intervening Diplomatically in Group Work
- Determine when to intervene and when to ignore an issue
- Conduct a group intervention in diplomatic terms (whether you are the chair, supervisor, facilitator or team member)
- Identify your range of intervention options
Determining How to Get a Group Back On Track
- Clarify when to be directive or hands-off when dealing with group dynamics
- Analyze our own tendencies
Minimizing Challenging Group Dynamics
- Determine the elements of an effective team plan (for both short and long-term development)
- Analyze a variety of group tools and techniques that may be useful for you in your own group
- Develop the ability to lead energetic discussions
- Develop the ability to generate lots of new ideas as well as the ability to analyze and select favoured ideas
What You Will Learn
- How to effectively manage your group
- How to influence your group to achieve the best work possible
Who Should Attend?
You will benefit from this seminar if you:
- are a supervisor, team leader or team member who would like to assist your groups in achieving a more effective and harmonious working relationship within the groups
- have a department or team that you would like to learn how to manage optimally