Women and Gender Studies

Women & Gender Studies Joint Program Handbooks

The 2013-2014 WGST academic year handbook is linked WGST Handbook as a Word document and WGST Handbook as a pdf or may be browsed below.

Table of Contents

  • Welcome
  • Finding Your Way Around Halifax
  • Graduate Admissions Program Committee
  • Abbreviations and Definitions of Terms
  • Webpage Information
  • September Orientation
  • The Registration Process
  • Course Information
  • Required Courses
  • Independent and Directed Study or Directed Readings Courses
  • Elective Courses
  • Required Courses
  • Saint Mary’s University
  • Mount Saint Vincent University
  • Electives
  • Mount Saint Vincent University
  • Saint Mary’s University
  • List of Women & Gender Studies Faculty
  • Saint Mary’s University Faculty
  • Mount Saint Vincent University Faculty
  • Payment of Fees
  • MSVU Fees (paid by MSVU & SMU students for MSVU courses, 2013-14)
  • SMU Fees (paid by SMU students for SMU courses, 2013-14)
  • SMU Fees (paid by MSVU students for SMU courses, 2013-14)
  • Comments on Fee Schedule
  • Financial Resources
  • Student Comportment and Responsibilities
  • Course Related Expectations
  • Student Grievances and Appeals Protocol
  • Information for International Students
  • Forms and WGS Student Worksheet

Please Note: While these guidelines are written to help you with the registration and administration processes associated with your degree, regulations regularly change. At the end of this document you will find a number of forms that you will need as you complete your degree. Every effort has been made to ensure that these forms are current and accurate, but it is the student’s responsibility to confirm that they are filling out the right form. Generally forms found online are current. Consult with your Graduate Coordinator if you have any questions about regulations or the appropriate forms and documentation.

We have tried to be as accurate as possible in the information provided, however, if there are discrepancies or inconsistencies between the information provided within this handbook and the approved regulations of the relevant University (SMU or MSVU), the approved regulations of the university hold precedence.

For the Academic Regulations of Saint Mary’s, see Section 2 of the SMU Graduate Academic Calendar

For the Academic Regulations of MSVU, see Section 2 of the MSVU Graduate Academic Calendar

While your professors, thesis supervisor, Graduate Coordinators, department Chairs, and members of FGSR will give advice and provide assistance to you in navigating your program, the ultimate responsibility for ensuring that you meet the all requirements of your academic program lies with you.


Welcome to the Master of Arts in Women and Gender Studies.  Offered cooperatively by Saint Mary’s University and Mount Saint Vincent University, the program emphasizes the interdisciplinary basis of Women and Gender Studies, its community linkages, and its’ grounding in feminist theories and methods.

The Master of Arts in Women and Gender Studies will appeal to individuals with interests in areas that combine a feminist perspective with analysis of gender in relation to global issues; war and peace studies; cultural and media studies; literary studies; youth and aging; history; theory; research methods; health; sexuality; the body; education; social change; urban and rural studies; religion/spirituality; human rights, law, regulation and social justice; race and ethnicity; paid and unpaid labour; family relations; the creative arts; and feminist community activism. Our program is enriched by its access to a variety of library collections at universities in the city, and by its links with active local feminist communities.

This handbook has been created to assist with your orientation to the program. Please review it carefully prior to initiating the registration process. Helpful information to guide students through their programs is also available in the SMU FGSR Graduate Student Handbook and Graduate Academic Calendar, and the MSVU Graduate Calendar. It is not possible to foresee all matters that will arise as you proceed through the registration process.  Whenever you have concerns or questions you should contact your Graduate Coordinator.

Finding Your Way Around Halifax

If you are a Haligonian the next section may be familiar to you; if not, welcome to Halifax! It’s not hard to find your way around the city but here are a few helpful hints to get you started.

If you are flying into Halifax, the airport is not close to the city. It is about a forty-five minute drive into downtown. If no one is meeting you at the airport, there are a number of ways to get around. A taxi is the most obvious and expensive (about $53.00). A shuttle bus leaves the airport quite often during the day going to all the major hotels in the city, or to the Acadia Lines bus terminal behind the train station on Hollis Street (about $18.00).

Hopefully, you’ll have somewhere to stay when you get here. We can recommend the youth hostel at 1253 Barrington Street (telephone 1-902-423-3863), which is right downtown. If you have to do an apartment hunt, there are a few things to keep in mind. Saint Mary’s University is on the peninsula of the city and Mount Saint Vincent is just outside on the #80 and #12 bus lines (about a half hour ride). To be within walking distance of the two campuses and downtown you might want to live in the Central or South Ends of the city. The North or West End would bring you closer to the Mount and is a bus ride away from downtown. Rent in Halifax can be expensive! You should try and find something with utilities included or at least oil heating. Electric heating can be unaffordable.

For information on housing on and off campus at Saint Mary's University click here.

For information on housing from Mount Saint Vincent University click here.

Dalhousie University also has an excellent off campus housing website that is accessible to all.

For further information about Halifax, contact a Nova Scotia Tourism and Information center.  Ask them to send you the “Doers and Dreamers Guide to Nova Scotia.”  (1-800-565-0000)

Graduate Admissions Program Committee

The Graduate Admissions Program Committee (GAPC) for the Joint MA Program in Women and Gender Studies is the body responsible for administrative and policy activities relevant to the program.

Over the last few years, changes at both SMU and MSVU have forced us to make changes in the administrative structure of the Women and Gender Studies Program. For example, the program at SMU is now formally embedded in the department of Sociology & Criminology. While this does nothing to change the multi- and interdisciplinary nature of the program, it gives our students a home at Saint Mary’s.

While we “grow into” these new changes, it is most important for you, the student, to keep in touch with the key members of your administration: the Coordinators and Chairs:


  • Coordinator: Alan Brown
  • Chair: Meredith Ralston


  • Coordinator: Michele Byers
  • Acting Coordinator: Russell Westhaver
  • Chair: Russell Westhaver

Abbreviations and Definitions of Terms

  • SMU - Saint Mary’s University
  • MSVU - Mount Saint Vincent University
  • Home University - the university to which students have been admitted.
  • WGSMA – Women and Gender Studies MA program. The name of the program officially changed to Joint Master of Arts in Women and Gender Studies (pviously called the Inter-university Master of Arts in Women’s Studies) as of May 2007
  • GAPC - the WGSMA Graduate Admissions and Program Committee responsible for administering the MA program.
  • Graduate Coordinators - the WGSMA faculty members at SMU and MSVU responsible for overseeing WGSMA student matters and who act in the capacity of advisor for students admitted to their respective universities.  Your Graduate Coordinator is located at your home university. Contact information is provided on the WGSMA Timetable and the university websites.
  • WGSMA Faculty - Faculty of MSVU and SMU who have been approved to teach
  • WGSMA courses and supervise WGSMA theses. A complete list of program faculty is provided in this booklet.
  • WGST - identifies WGSMA courses offered by SMU.
  • GWGS - identifies WGSMA courses offered by MSVU.

Webpage Information

WGSMA Faculty list:

MSVU Grad. Studies Calendar 2013-2014

MSVU Graduate Studies Student Information (including current forms):

SMU Campus Map:

MSVU Campus Map:

September Orientation

An orientation meeting for students will be held Sept. 3rd 2013 at SMU.

Orientation will be held in Atrium 216 from 2-430 pm.

This information will also be sent electronically to students later in the summer.

The orientation provides new students with an opportunity to meet each other as well as returning students, the Graduate Coordinators, the GAPC Chair, and WGSMA faculty members.  An overview of the WGSMA program and the registration process will be provided with time for questions and discussion.

The Registration Process

Because two universities offer our program, registration can be confusing. The following information will help you navigate the process.  When you are unsure how to proceed, contact your Graduate Coordinator.

p-Registration Advising: The complexity of the program and registration process necessitates that you communicate with your Graduate Coordinator PRIOR to September to receive p-registration advising.  When appropriate, this advising can be carried out by email or telephone. 

Overall Registration Process: To register in and pay for courses held at your home university you can use that university’s web-based system (Banner at SMU and WebAdvisor at MSVU).  This will require that you have an institutional ID and password, which you obtain with your SMU admission letter, and which you obtain once you have paid your registration deposit at MSVU.

Registering for Non-Home University Courses: Students wishing to register for courses not held at their Home University must complete the appropriate form authorizing external course registration. Copies of these forms are attached to this package and URLs are provided below.

Students whose Home University is SMU and who wish to take a course at MSVU must complete a Letter of Permission (an LOP) form and the Application/Registration for Visiting Students.

Students whose Home University is MSVU and who wish to take a course at SMU must complete the SMU Graduate Application Form for Visiting, Upgrading and Reactivation Students and the MSVU Authorized External Course at Another Institution form.

Once you have received p-registration advising, complete and sign the external course authorization forms and return them to your Graduate Coordinator who will obtain the necessary additional signatures and submit them on your behalf.  

Before doing this, however, students must receive permission from their Graduate Coordinators. Students can take courses at institutions other than SMU & MSVU, but students must show that the course is necessary for their program of study and is not offered at either University. The registration process detailed above also applies to courses held at non-WGSMA institutions, such as Dalhousie University, NSCAD or Acadia University.

This process needs to be repeated whenever you take additional courses held at an institution other than your Home University, including those taken at non-WGSMA institutions, such as Dalhousie University or Acadia University. Once the required signatures have been received, returning students will be responsible for submitting the form to the institution where the course is being offered.

Registering for Independent Study and Directed Study or Directed Readings Courses:  All courses that are registered as Independent Study / Directed Study or Directed Readings courses need to be approved by your Graduate Coordinator through the submission of an MSVU Independent Studies Permission Form for an MSVU course, or a SMU Application for Directed Study Form for a SMU course, prior to registering in the course. When you plan on registering in such courses, inform your Graduate Coordinator as soon as possible so that the Coordinator can assist you with identifying appropriate courses/instructors and completing the required paper work.

Thesis Registration

Supervisors are normally members of the WGSMA Faculty, but exceptions can be made with GAPC approval for non-WGSMA faculty at SMU, MSVU, and other universities.  Speak with your Graduate Coordinator about your thesis research interests and advice on potential supervisors. Please note that SMU and MSVU have different requirements regarding thesis registration, thus it is important that you contact your Graduate Coordinator to ensure you complete the procedures for your home university. Please note that students can access graduate studies policies, procedures and forms online at each university.

Course Information

Students admitted to a 5 unit program (MSVU) or a 30 credit hour program (SMU) need to complete the courses listed below on either a full or part time basis. See Academic Calendars for further information. Graduate students at SMU and MSVU are required to maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA (B average), and each university has regulations regarding termination of registration for receiving grades at the C level and below.  Students should note the regulations specific to their home university as set out in the university calendars. Students who have concerns about maintaining their registration should speak to their Graduate Coordinator.

Required Courses:

  • Feminist Theories (MSVU .5 unit; SMU 3 credit hours)
    When held at SMU this course is WGST 6601; when held at MSVU it is GWGS 6601.
  • Feminist Methodologies (MSVU .5 unit; SMU 3 credit hours)
    When held at SMU this course is WGST 6602; when held at MSVU it is GWGS 6602.
  • Graduate Seminar (MSVU .5 unit; SMU 3 credit hours)
    When held at SMU this course is WGST 6603; when held at MSVU it is GWGS 6603.
  • Elective in Theory or Method (MSVU .5 unit; SMU 3 credit hours)
    Discuss options with your Graduate Coordinator.
  • Independent Studies (MSVU .5 unit); Directed Study / Readings (SMU 3 credit hours)
    Discuss options with your Graduate Coordinator. See Timetable information below. Ensure with your Graduate Coordinator that you are registering in these courses with the correct institutional form.
  • Electives (MSVU .5 unit; SMU 3 credit hours)
    Elective courses can be undertaken at SMU, MSVU, or another university.  See Timetable information below.
  • Thesis  (MSVU 2 units; SMU 12 credit hours)
    See Timetable information below.

Both SMU and MSVU offer required courses in the program each year. This means that you have to travel to each university each term. WGSMA courses have been scheduled to enable travel and to avoid scheduling conflicts. See the 2013-14 Timetable for information about which courses are offered at which university and when, and relevant course numbers. The timetables for all courses offered at SMU and MSVU are available on the websites for each university. Please review these university-wide timetables to identify courses you may be interested in taking. You can access these timetables without a password to search for course offerings and schedules.

If your program admission requires that you complete undergraduate courses, discuss available options with your Graduate Coordinator. These courses normally need to be completed before undertaking graduate course work.

Independent and Directed Study or Directed Readings Courses

Designed by the student in consultation with a faculty member, these courses require students to carry out independent reading of materials agreed upon between the student and faculty, and that the student and instructor meet every week or every two weeks, to discuss progress.  Assessment of course work is through the production of a tangible product such as a course paper. 

Students are encouraged to design Independent Studies courses (at MSVU) and Directed Study or Directed Readings Courses (at SMU) in relation to their thesis focus.  For example, such a course could be used to develop a survey instrument or interview questions or to begin to conduct the literature review for the thesis. The research interests of WGSMA Faculty can be viewed at the WGSMA faculty site listed above, and through individual faculty web-pages, to help identify potential Independent Studies / Directed Study or Directed Readings supervisors. Also discuss your interests with your Graduate Coordinator, who will be aware of faculty expertise. 

Registering for an Independent Studies course at MSVU requires your completion of the MSVU Independent Studies Permission Form (available from your Graduate Coordinator at MSVU) prior to registration.

Registering for a Directed Study or Directed Readings course at SMU requires your completion of the SMU Application for Directed Study Form (available from your Graduate Coordinator at SMU or the SMU Registrar) prior to registration.

The MSVU Independent Studies Permission Form and the SMU Application for Directed Study Form must be accompanied by a detailed course outline (including the evaluation schema) and signed by the course instructor and the Graduate Coordinator prior to registering in such courses. In the case of the SMU Application for Directed Study Form, the Dean of Arts must also sign this form. To avoid registration delays discuss your Independent / Directed Studies interests with your Graduate Coordinator as early as possible.

Elective Courses

Elective courses are generally of three types:

Graduate courses held at SMU or MSVU with a Women & Gender Studies course code OR that the Graduate Coordinator has given permission for the student to take. Some courses require completion of prequisites or permission of the course instructor; students are responsible for ensuring they meet any such requirements prior to enrolling.

Third or fourth year undergraduate courses that are upgraded to a graduate course through additional requirements created in consultation with the student and instructor, and for which the Graduate Coordinator has given approval.  Students upgrading an undergraduate to a graduate course must register in a graduate Independent Study course (at MSVU) or a graduate Directed Study or Directed Readings course (at SMU), NOT in the undergraduate course that they are upgrading. Such courses are given an Independent Studies / Directed Study or Directed Readings course number and require completion of the MSVU Independent Studies Permission Form or the SMU Application for Directed Study Form prior to enrolling in the course. Peruse the calendars/timetables of the universities to identify courses that might be of interest to you, and discuss your ideas with your Graduate Coordinator.

Graduate courses taken at institutions other than SMU or MSVU are given an Independent Studies / Directed Study or Directed Readings course number. Prior to enrolling in the course they require completion of the MSVU Independent Studies Permission Form or the SMU Application for Directed Study Form AND the requisite form of your home university authorizing registration in courses at external institutions.

Joint Master of Arts in Women and Gender Studies Program

Timetable 2013-2014

Required Courses:

Saint Mary’s University

WGST 6601.2 Feminist Theories
Term: Winter
Day/Time: Tuesday, 1:00-3:30pm
Instructor: Phanuel Antwi
Location: MM 214A


WGST 6604.1 Contemporary Issues in Feminism
Term: Fall
Day/Time: Thursday, 01:00-03:30pm
Instructor: T. Heffernan
Location: ME 111

Mount Saint Vincent University

GWGS 6602(01) Feminist Methodologies
Term: Winter
Day/Time: Monday, 4:30-07:00pm
Instructor: Marnina Gonick
Location: TBA


GWGS 6603(01) Graduate Seminar
Term: Fall/Winter
Day/Time: Friday, 12:00-2:30pm
Instructor: Mary Delaney
Location: EVAR 367

GWGS courses are taught at Mount Saint Vincent University and WGST courses are taught at Saint Mary’s University.

FGSR9000: This is a "pseudo-course" in which SMU students MUST register for this in EVERY term AFTER they have completed all their course work, but are still completing their thesis research. There is no FGSR9000 course per se (i.e. no class to attend or credit to receive). Registering in FGSR9000 simply indicates to the computerized registration system that you are still an enrolled graduate student, but only involved in thesis research in your program (http://www.smu.ca/academic/fgsr/grad_pro_terms.html)


Because of the small size of our graduate program, most of our students take key electives from upper level undergraduate classes with permission of the instructor.

The following is a selection of relevant courses for Women’s Studies graduate students in 2013-14.  It is also possible to take other university courses of particular interest to the student with permission from the Graduate Coordinator. 

Students should consult the relevant calendars for course descriptions and are responsible for ensuring that any requirements for admission to the courses are met.  Students need to receive permission from their Program Coordinator before enrolling, at which time they will be advised of the need for submitting additional forms for registration purposes, and the assignment of independent study course numbers.  Prior to enrolling in any Undergraduate courses with the intention of their being upgraded to a Graduate level, students will need to consult with their Program Coordinator and have the appropriate permission form completed.

*PLEASE NOTE that there are many courses offered at MSVU and SMU that might be of interest to a particular student because of their research interests that are not listed here. Please take some time to examine our course offerings to find the ones which best suit your needs.

Mount Saint Vincent University

WOMS/POLS 3361(01) Women, Social Policy and the Welfare State
Term: Winter
Day/Time: Tuesday, Thursday, 03:00-04:15pm
Instructor: Tammy Findlay


WOMS/PSYC 3365(01) Psychology of Women
Term: Winter
Day/Time: Wednesday,  7:15-9:45pm
Instructor: Mary Delaney


WOMS/SOAN 3371(01) Women, Resistance and Empowerment
Term: Winter
Day/Time: Tuesday, Thursday, 10:30-11:45am
Instructor: Alan Brown


WOMS 3391(01) Gender and International Relations
Term: Winter
Day/Time: Thursday, 4:30-7:00pm
Instructor: Deborah Stienstra, Nancy's Chair


WOMS/BUSI 4406(01) Managing Diversity: Gender and Other Issues
Term: Winter
Day/Time: Tuesday, Thursday,  10:30-11:45am
Instructor: Mallika Das


GWGS 6611 (01) Senior Seminar: "Aboriginality, Disabiliity and Women: Using Feminist Intersectional Frameworks"
Term: Fall
Day/Time: Thursday,  04:30-07:00pm
Instructor: Deborah Stienstra, Nancy's Chair


GEDU 6100(01) Experimental Research Methods
Term: Winter
Day/Time: Monday, 04:30-07:00pm
Instructor: Saad Chahine


GEDU 6107(01) Qualitative Research Methods
Term: Fall
Day/Time: Monday, 04:30-07:00pm
Instructor: Lorri Neilsen


GFDD 6516(01) Gender and Education
Term: Winter
Day/Time: Wednesday, 04:30-07:00pm
Instructor: Marnina Gonick


GEPY 6608(01) Intermediate Statistics & Research Design
Term: Fall
Day/Time: Tuesday, Thursday, 07:30-08:45pm
Instructor: TBA

Saint Mary’s University

POLI 3205.2 Politics and Sex
Term: Fall
Day/Time: Tuesday, 4:00-6:30pm
Instructor: Edna Keeble


SOCI/CRIM 3387.2 Special Topic: Women & Development
Term: Winter
Day/Time: Monday, Wednesday, 1:00-2:15
Instructor: Maria Yax Fraser


SOCI/CRIM 3830.2 Special Topics: Sex, Gender & Deviant Bodies
Term: Winter
Day/Time: Tuesday, Thursday, 11:30-12:45
Instructor: Audrey MacNevin


HIST 3832.1 Special Topics: Love and family in China
Term: Fall
Day/Time: Monday 4:00-6:30pm
Instructor: Xiaoping Sun


SOCI/CRIM 4423.2 Women, Gender & Development: Policy & Practice
Term: Winter
Day/Time: Tuesday, Thursday, 2:30-3:45pm
Instructor: Marian Pelletier


SOCI/CRIM 4432.1 Gender and Law
Term: Fall
Day/Time: Tuesday, 4:00-6:30pm
Instructor: Val Marie Johnson


SOCI 4832.1 Special Topics: Trandsgender/Transexuality
Term: Fall
Day/Time: Tuesday, Thursday, 1:00-2:15pm
Instructor: Marianne Parsons


WMST 4451.1 (WGST 6826) Gender & International Relations
Term: Fall
Day/Time: Tuesday, Thursday, 01:00-2:15pm
Instructor: E. Keeble


PHIL 4585.2 Feminist Philosophy
Term: Winter
Day/Time: Tuesday, 10:00-12:30
Instructor: Lisa Gannett

N.B. Please see your Graduate Coordinator about Directed Study course numbers.

Graduate Coordinators 2013-2014

Saint Mary’s University:

Dr. Michele Byers (Coordinator)
Phone: 420-5871
E-mail: michele.byers@smu.ca

Dr. Russell Westhaver (Acting Coordinator 2013-14)
McNally South 414
Phone: 491-6278
Email: russell.westhaver@smu.ca

Mount Saint Vincent University:

Dr. Alan Brown, Coordinator
Evaristus 440
Phone: 457-6239
E-mail: alan.brown1@msvu.ca

List of Women & Gender Studies Faculty

This program draws on a rich collective resource of over 50 faculty members who are engaged in a range of feminist research activities. This section will help you go about finding committee members and course professors. The WGSMA Faculty list contains further research and personal webpage information for many of these faculty members. Graduate Coordinators also have suggestions for faculty with knowledge in your thesis area.

Saint Mary’s University Faculty

Mount Saint Vincent University Faculty

Payment of Fees

While Saint Mary’s and Mount Saint Vincent cooperatively offer the Joint Master of Arts in Women and Gender Studies, the two institutions do not have an integrated registration/fee payment system.  This means you will need to go through the fee payment process at each university whenever you take a course at the other institution. If issues arise during the payment process, they should be brought to the attention of your Graduate Coordinator.

The two institutions have different tuition systems.  SMU students pay a program fee while MSVU students pay per course unit. You will find a copy of the fee schedules in this handbook.  MSVU students pay for their Saint Mary’s courses on a per course fee basis at the SMU Service Centre (McNally Building). SMU students who enrol in courses at MSVU pay the Mount per credit unit fee at the MSVU Registration desk (2nd floor, Evaristus building).

Since SMU students pay a program fee, when they take MSVU courses that are REQUIRED for their WGSMA program, upon successful course completion they must submit the following to the SMU Graduate Studies Office (Atrium 210) for reimbursement: 1. a copy of the relevant Letter of Permission, 2. a demonstration of the successful transfer of the grade for the course to their SMU transcript. The student’s SMU account will be credited for the approved graduate portion of the receipt including the ancillary fees.  If the SMU account is paid in full the student may be reimbursed by cheque. SMU students are cautioned that taking MSVU or courses at other universities that have not been approved as part of the WGSMA program can result in their not receiving reimbursement.

Please note that tuition fees depend on your residence status. Under the 2013-14 SMU Fee Schedule Nova Scotia resident is defined through 2 criteria: a) Nova Scotia residents are defined as those in receipt of a Nova Scotia student loan, and b) for students without a loan, Nova Scotia residency is determined if the student entered university immediately after Nova Scotia high school completion (within the last 12 months), or if the student’s province of permanent home address on date of application for admission was Nova Scotia.  Student should ensure that they confirm the 2013-14 criteria.

MSVU Fees (paid by MSVU & SMU students for MSVU courses, 2013-14)

  • Note: Credit card payments are no longer accepted for tuition effective August 1, 2012. Please see MSVU.CA/Financial-Information
Graduate (Domestic) Tuition per unit $1,664.50 + Nova Scotia students (as determined by Provincial definition), receive a   reduction in tuition of $256.60 per unit of credit and other Canadian   students will receive a reduction of $52.20 per unit of credit
International   Student Fee Differential per unit $1,180.40
Technology   Fee per unit $10.00/unit   of credit
Student   Union fees per unit to maximum of $182: $37.73
Students’   Union orientation one time $35.00/for   new FT student
Students’   Union yearbook fee $9.00/for   on-campus student
Student   Capital Campaign per unit $6.00
Athletic   fee per unit: $10.00
U-PASS   fee $145.00/full-time   student
Refugee   Student Program fee per unit $3.13
Health   Plan is for MSVU students and is optional
Students'   Union health-plan fee domestic students, single coverage $261.50/12   months
Students'   Union dental-plan fee for domestic students, single coverage $143.50/12 months
International   student fee, single coverage $618.00/12   months

SMU Fees (paid by SMU students for SMU courses, 2013-14)

SMU Fees (paid by MSVU students for SMU courses, 2013-14)

Copies of these tables can be found here.

Comments on Fee Schedule

There are additional charges for other services not itemized here, such as graduation fees. More details on fees for your respective university can be found in the calendar or university website. If you are charged health coverage fees at the “other” university, you need to request a waiver from that university.

Financial Resources

There are a number of scholarships and bursaries available from each university, and you can inquire about these with each institution’s Graduate Coordinator, or find them listed in each university calendar. Some WGS faculty members also have independently funded research projects that may fund research assistants.

One of the best sources of funding for graduate school is the Social Science and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) J. Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarship. If you have not already received a SSHRC Canada Graduate Scholarship, you are strongly encouraged to apply.  Please consult your Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research for more information. for more information on these scholarships. They are available for MA students as well as MA students going on for a Ph.D.

If you are searching for other funding opportunities for your degree, there are many reference books and guides available in university and public libraries and in student aid offices. Numerous external organizations fund scholarships and bursaries (Planned Parenthood Federation of Canada, Canadian University Federation of Women, Halifax’s Venus Envy). The WGS Program is in the process of consolidating information on external funding sources for students: watch the program’s web-pages for updates.

On a more general note, each university has some money available towards the costs of research and travel incurred in doing a thesis project or psenting it at an academic conference. Currently, a student can put together a budget and covering letter outlining his or her financial need for expenses in doing actual research and for travel to conferences. Check with your Graduate Coordinator or the office responsible for graduate studies at your university of registration as to how you apply for the moneys at a specific institution, and the current limits and criteria.

Student Comportment and Responsibilities

In the interest of ensuring timely program completion and student accountability there are a number of issues students should be aware of relative to their requirements:

Course Related Expectations:

  • Students are expected to attend all classes.

  • Students are expected to register in every semester until program completion, including when they are working on their thesis.

  • Students are advised to be attentive to their standing as full- or part-time students, as outlined by the guidelines at their Home Universities. Students who drop courses will eventually lose their full-time status and any funding that comes along with that status.

  • Students are expected to register for courses at the appropriate time. Students who register retroactively may lose their full-time status and/or have their funding withheld.

  • Students receiving an F will be asked to withdraw from the program.

  • Students who are ill or are unable to manage their work in the program as a whole (i.e. in multiple classes or their thesis) are expected to discuss taking a Leave of Absence from the program with their Graduate Coordinator.

  • It is the student’s responsibility to keep informed of the status of all paperwork filed and their status in the program, including paperwork required around transfer credits.

  • Students are expected to complete their program in a timely manner. Consult regulations at your Home University for further details (Section 2 in both the SMU & MSVU Graduate Calendars).

  • Students are required to complete a Student Worksheet and update this form regularly.

Student Grievances and Appeals Protocol

In rare cases, students may find themselves in conflict with professors/supervisors. In most cases, this can be worked out informally and to that end, students should first try to resolve disputes through informal mechanisms, and, only if this is impossible, formal institutional procedures should be used. If the grievance or dispute involves a professor, for example, the first step would be for the student to meet with the professor. An informal resolution must occur in a timely fashion in order to ensure that the formal process can be used, if necessary. If this is unsatisfactory, the student should contact her Graduate Coordinator or the chair of GAPC. If the dispute is of a general or programmatic nature, students should follow formal institutional procedures at their university of registration. If the dispute involves a professor, the formal institutional procedures should be followed at the university where the course is given and/or the professor is located.

Students should note that if they dissolve a supervisory relationship at any point in the thesis process, there is no guarantee that another supervisor will take the original project. While all efforts will be made to create a new relationship where the student does not lose time already spent on a project, sometimes this is impossible. The student should be ppared, in that case, to start from scratch with a new committee and a new project.

Information for International Students

If you register for thesis continuation and are continuing to work full time on your thesis, as a SMU student you must complete a SMU Application for Full-Time Thesis Continuation Status.

Please contact the SMU Registrar if you require an official letter confirming your full time status for purposes of student visas.

For the other services that it offers, SMU international students should also consult the Saint Mary’s University International Student Centre:

Third Floor, Student Union Building
Shanshan Luo (shan.luo@smu.ca)
Phone: 902-420-5436

At MSVU all thesis students must maintain registration in their thesis course; in doing so, they are considered full-time students.

Information for the International Advisor at MSVU is as follows:

Mount Saint Vincent University
International Student Advisor
Rosaria Student Centre, Room 405
Phone: 902-457-6130
Fax: 902-445-2201

Forms and WGS Student Worksheet

With the exception of the Student Worksheet and IP Contract (WGS Program forms), the following institutional forms can also be found online as noted on the website list on page 8 of this manual. Forms change regularly—so when completing these forms, please ensure that you have the most current one.

Forms found online are generally the most up to-date:

  • WGSMA Student Worksheet (see below)
  • MSVU Authorized External Course form
  • MSVU Application/Registration for Visiting Students
  • SMU Letter of Permission
  • SMU Graduate Application for Visiting, Upgrading and Reactivation Students
  • Mount Saint Vincent University/Saint Mary’s University
  • Student Worksheet

Note to Students: Completion of a Worksheet in consultation with the Women and Gender Studies Graduate Coordinator is intended to assist students in planning a coherent program of study. It has no official standing. Students are reminded that final responsibility for meeting the program requirements for their degree rests with themselves.


Name:   Student No.:  
Local Address:   E-mail:  
    Local Telephone:  
Expected Year of Graduation:      

Required Courses

Feminist Theory: MSVU=0.5 unit
SMU=3 credit hours
Feminist Methodology: MSVU=0.5 unit
SMU=3 credit hours
Graduate Seminar: MSVU=0.5 unit
SMU=3 credit hours
Elective in Theory or Method: MSVU-0.5 unit
SMU=3 credit hours
Independent or Directed Study: MSVU=0.5 unit
SMU=3 credit hours
Elective: MSVU=0.5 unit
SMU=3 credit hours
  MSVU= 3.0 units
SMU= 18 credit hours
(MSVU=2.0 units
SMU=12 credit hours)
Title Supervisor/Institution Defense Date
 -  -  -  -


Course Number and Institution Course Name Professor Credit Year Mark
 -  -  -  -  -  -
 -  -  -  -  -  -




Graduate Coordinator: