Honours Program Requirements
This is a selective program. Applicants for admission must:
- have completed at least 60 credit hours;
- have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00 out of 4.3;
- have a cumulative GPA in Sociology courses of 3.30 out of 4.3;
- have a faculty member’s written agreement to serve as a supervisor for the honours thesis, SOCI 4601.
The deadline for application is 1 April of the year before students wish to begin the honours program.
For honours in Sociology, students must complete sixty (60) credit hours:
Major Core Courses:
- SOCI 1210 Introductory Sociology (minimum grade of C)
- SOCI 2100 Social Research Methods
- SOCI 3012 Sociological Theory
- SOCI 3100 Qualitative Research Methods
- SOCI 3102 Quantitative Research Methods
Honours Core Courses:
- SOCI 4600 Honours Thesis Research Preparation
- SOCI 4601 Honours Thesis Writing*
*The honours thesis may be either a research-based or a service-learning-based project.
Twenty-Seven (27) credit hours in Sociology at the 3000 level or above
Twelve (12) credit hours in Sociology at the 4000 level
To graduate with honours, students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.30 in SOCI courses as well as earn a grade of B+ (3.30) in SOCI 4601.