Department of Biology
Dr. Michael Agbeti PhD
B.Sc. (Hons.): University of Ghana, Legon, Ghana
M. Sc.: BrockUniversity, St. Catharines, Ontario
Ph.D.: Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario
Post Doc: University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta
My research interests are general limnology; phytoplankton ecology; aquatic ecology and the use of algae as bio-indicators of water quality. I own a consulting business primarily concerned with taxonomy (identification and enumeration) of algae (phytoplankton and periphyton) and writing reports on water quality data.
1. Blais, J. M., Duff, K. E., Schindler, D. W., Smol, J. P., Leavitt, P. R. & M. D. Agbeti. 2000. Recent eutrophication histories of Lac Ste. Anne and Lake Isle, Alberta, Canada, using paleolimnological methods. Lake and Reserv. Manage. 16(4): 292-304.
2. McNaught, A.S., D.W. Schindler, A.J. Paul, R.S. Anderson, D.B. Donald, B.R. Parker & M. D. Agbeti. 1999. Restoration of the food web of an alpine lake following fish stocking. Limnol. Oceanogr. 44: 127-136.
3. Agbeti, M.D., Kingston, J.C., Smol, J.P. & Watters, C. 1997. Comparison of phytoplankton succession in two lakes of different mixing regimes. Arch. Hydrobiol. 140: 37-69.
4. Agbeti, M.D. & Smol, J.P. 1995. Dynamics of Chyrsophyceae and Synurophyceae and their encystment in two Canadian lakes. J. Phycol. 31: 70-78.
5. Agbeti, M.D. & Smol, J.P. 1995. Winter limnology: A comparison of physical, chemical and biological characteristics in two temperate lakes during ice-cover. Hydrobiologia 304: 221-234.
6. Agbeti, M.D. 1992. The relationship between diatom assemblages and trophic variables: A comparison of old and new approaches. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 49: 1171-1175.
7. Pick, F.R. & Agbeti, M. 1991. Seasonal dynamics of picocyanobacteria in temperate lakes. Int. Rev. ges. Hydrobiol. 76: 565-580.
8. Agbeti, M.D. & Dickman, M. 1989. Use diatom fossil assemblages to determine historical changes in trophic status. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 46: 1013-1021.
1. Agbeti, M.D. 1998. Water quality of two “end pit” lakes in relation to fishery sustainability. 80 pp. Prepared for Luscar Ltd. - CoalValley Mine.
2. Agbeti, M.D. 1999. Water quality of tributaries of Rice and Paddy Creek (Cynthia, Alberta) in 1998, 1999 (ongoing). Prepared for Stantec Consulting, Edmonton, Alberta.
3. Agbeti, M.D. 2000. Ammonia removal by algae in a gold-mine tailings lake water – a laboratory experiment. Done for Gartner Lee Ltd., Markham, Ontario.
4. Agbeti, M.D. 2002. An evaluation of long-term phytoplankton and zooplankton communities of WabamunLake. Prepared for Alberta Environmental Protection, Alberta.