Department of Chemistry
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI)
The Department of Chemistry at Saint Mary’s University is committed to upholding the values of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) within the workplace, both in the classroom and in research. Saint Mary’s University has an Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan tailored to the Canada Research Chairs Program. As a Department, we have taken it upon ourselves to strive to be leaders in the Saint Mary’s Community and actively promote EDI within the Sciences.
We have several activities and goals planned, including:
- Developing an ever-evolving EDI statement that encompasses the view and goals of the Chemistry Department.
- An annual seminar related to teaching or research with a distinct focus on EDI.
- Participation of the Chemistry Department in the annual IUPAC Women’s Global Breakfast.
- Developing hiring practices of students within the department that encompass EDI.
- Providing a SMU Chemistry representative for any EDI-related meetings/events at national or regional Chemistry conferences.
If you have questions, comments, or concerns with respect to EDI in the Department of Chemistry, please contact the Chemistry Department's EDI Committee Chair or the Chemistry Department Chair.
Chemistry Department EDI Committee Members
As of January 2020, the Chemistry EDI committee consists of several members representing faulty, staff, and students. These individuals are:
Christa Brosseau, Committee Chair
Jason Masuda, Department Chair
Najwan Albarghouthi (graduate)
Maddy Eisnor (undergraduate)