Department of Astronomy & Physics

Bobby Sorba

Simulation of Euclid's photometric redshift accuracy without (left) and with (right) the Canadian proposed U+G channel. The U+G channel dramatically reduces the scatter, i.e, improves performance.

Recent SMU astronomy graduate Bobby Sorba has been working as part of a group commissioned by the Canadian Space Agency to look into how Canada might contribute to the plannedEuropean Euclid space mission . Euclid's goal is to better understand Dark Energy, which is the recently-discovered but mysterious substance that accounts for 70% of "stuff" in the Universe (of the remaining 30%, about 25% is Dark Matter and only 5% is "ordinary" matter). Working with professor Dr Marcin Sawicki , Bobby used the computing power of ACEnet to generate realistic simulations of how adding a Canadian-designed U+G channel would affect performance. Last week Bobby presented his results at the project team milestone meeting at COM DEV in Ottawa.
<< Back