2018-19 Academic Calendar
This online calendar contains the courses, programs and policies for the 2018-2019 academic year (until September 3, 2019). For information on the upcoming academic year, please refer to the recently released 2019-2020 Academic Calendar, available currently only as a PDF.
A Brief Guide to Using this Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar is the University’s most important publication, and serves many purposes. This is a brief guide to using it.
If you are a Prospective Student:
- Review the range of Undergraduate Academic Programs available at Saint Mary’s under Programs and Courses. (Saint Mary’s University publishes a separate Graduate Academic Calendar.)
- Learn how Saint Mary’s University schedules courses over the 12-month academic year by referring to the Academic Calendar of Events, which includes key deadlines for course registration and payment of fees.
- Review the Descriptions of Courses in Programs and Courses, to learn about the range of topics which may be included in a subject area. This section is a sort of official “menu” from which the departments plan what courses to offer each year. To find out which courses will be offered at a specific time, consult the Academic Timetable on Saint Mary’s web site.
- Find information on the admission requirements and university regulations which apply to you under Academic Regulations.
- Interested in the costs? For detailed data on current costs, look to the Tuition, Fees and Other Expenses pages on Saint Mary’s web site.
- What about support services for students? For detailed information consult the Academic Resources and Campus Life pages of the Saint Mary’s web site.
If you are a member of the university community – student, staff, or member of faculty:
- Plan your year by referring to the Academic Calendar of Events, which gives timelines for each semester, including key dates for registration, application for graduation, and public holidays.
- Look here for information on Academic Regulations. Not all university regulations are included here; these are the ones approved by the University Senate, applying to matters such as grades, examinations, and special circumstances. This section also includes a glossary of terms related to those regulations.
- Check on the requirements for majors, minors, and concentrations under Programs and Courses. When reviewing the Descriptions of Courses in this section, keep in mind that this is a sort of officially approved “menu” from which the departments plan what courses to offer each year. For details on which courses will be offered at a specific time, consult the Academic Timetable on Saint Mary’s web site.
- Need to know what constitutes a breach of Academic Integrity? Consult Academic Integrity and Student Responsibility.
- Look to Programs and Courses for information on degree requirements. Keep in mind that there are requirements for a degree or diploma and also requirements for a major, minor, or concentration within that degree. As well, make sure that you consult the Academic Calendar for the year you are interested in.
Inquiries related to specific areas should be directed to the offices listed below:
Admissions and Recruitment
Service Centre (Enrolment Services)
Single housing: 902-420-5598
Family and graduate housing: 902-420-5589
Scholarships and Student Loans