Saint Mary’s University International Travel Registration System
Welcome to the new Saint Mary’s University On-Line Travel Abroad Registration System. It is now easier for all students, faculty and staff who travel outside of Canada on university-related or university-sanctioned activities to register their travel. Information collected on insurance and emergency contacts through Travel Abroad enables the University to provide you with feasible assistance in the case of an emergency during your travels. It was designed to also be of benefit to travellers. You will have access to a summary of your travel plans and to uploaded documents (e.g. reservation confirmations, health insurance, detailed itinerary) from anywhere that you can access SMUPort – always handy in case documents get lost.
Collection of travel information is handled under the authority of Section 33c of Nova Scotia’s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. It is treated in a confidential manner and will be kept in a secure location. The information will be used primarily for risk management. However, it may also be used for statistical purposes. For example, the University may use information from the travel registry to calculate how many students went on exchange to a specific country in a certain time period.
You should register your travel as soon as your plans start to become firm (e.g. travel and accommodation have been booked). Once you have filled in all required fields (marked with an asterisk), press “submit” to register the travel. You can continue to make additions and changes to the information before and during travel as plans evolve.
Thank you for your cooperation. We hope that this system will make international travel safer and easier for all students, faculty and staff. If you have any questions or experience technical difficulties, please do not hesitate to contact Maureen Woodhouse (tel: 496-8794, firstname.lastname@example.org) or Alida Campbell (tel 496-8133, email email@example.com). If you would like more general information and advice about international travel, please visit our website.
Methods to access the Travel Registry
- Go to smu.ca/travelabroad and log in using the traveller’s “S” # and password
- Log in to SMUPort using the traveller’s “S” # and password. Access the travel registry site through a link under “Useful Links” on the SMUPort main page.
- Click on the link on the International page of the SMU website: smu.ca/international/the-world-at-saint-marys.html
Registering your travel
- For individual travel, click on “Create New Travel Log (Individual)”
- Information needed to complete the form(s) includes the following:
- Name (as it appears on your passport)
- Name of program or trip (often just the destination and date)
- User type (e.g. student, faculty, staff, etc.)
- Faculty (Arts, Science, Commerce, Environmental Studies)
- Department/Major (students should enter their major; faculty and staff should enter their home department)
- Passport expiry date
- Health insurance policy number and provider
- Destination country and city/town/region
- Program start/end date (i.e. the date your university-related program starts and ends; if you are doing other travel before or after, enter those dates under Trip start/end date)
- Emergency contact name and contact information
For individual travellers
- Complete the form, noting that those fields with red asterisks are required. We ask that you upload a copy of your travel itinerary in Word or PDF format.
- You can add multiple destinations for each trip by clicking on “Add additional destinations”.
- Once the form is completed, click on “Submit”. Remember that you can go back and change information at any time if necessary.
- You will receive an email confirming your travel registration. Note that you will receive a confirmation email every time you change information on the registration form.
For group travellers
NOTE: THE GROUP TRAVEL FUNCTION IS CURRENTLY NOT OPERATIONAL. PLEASE ASK GROUP TRAVELLERS TO REGISTER AS INDIVIDUALS UNTIL THE FUNCTION IS OPERATIONAL AGAIN
- The coordinator of the group travel (e.g. field trip, conference, etc.) should fill in the information on the trip itself as well as the email addresses of each individual traveller, including him/herself. Except for the email addresses, the process is similar to that for individual travel.
- Again, click “Submit” when the form is completed. Be advised that the system will not inform you of returned/incorrect emails so please ensure that email addresses are correct.
- Each individual traveller, including the group coordinator, will receive an email confirming their travel registration. They are then asked to register their individual travel plans, especially travel plans that may be different from the rest of the group. Group coordinators should register their own individual travel just before the trip to avoid too many emails going out to each traveller if changes are made to the group registration.