The Counselling Centre
Are You in Crisis?
The Counselling Centre is here to support you, however, if you are experiencing an emergency there are more suitable options to address your immediate needs.
If you are at immediate risk of harm to yourself or others, you are in an emergency situation. You should call 911 or go directly to the hospital:
- QEII Emergency Department (19 years old and over) - located on 1799 Robie Street or
- IWK Emergency Department (under 19 years old) - located on South Street (near Robie Street)
If you are in crisis but not at an immediate risk of harm to yourself or others, you can contact The Counselling Centre at 902-420-5615 and we will work with you to address your concerns.
To help you to determine if you are currently experiencing a crisis, please use the following questions as a guide:
- Are you currently experiencing intense and persistent thoughts of suicide and/or of harming others?
- Are you seeking support to deal with a recent sexual or physical assault?
- Are you seeking support to deal with the recent death of someone close to you?
The Counselling Centre Hours of Operation:
September – May: 8:30am - 4:30 pm Monday to Friday
June – August: 8:30am - 4:00 pm Monday to Friday
If you require assistance outside of The Counselling Centre hours of operation, please call I.M. Well 1-877-234-5327 or The Mental Health Mobile Crisis Team at 902-429-8167. Please note: If you call the Mental Health Mobile Crisis Team they may not answer immediately but will return your call within 30 minutes.
A list of Emergency and other important numbers for Saint Mary's University students can be found here: Emergency Contacts