Executive and Professional Development
Developing Policy that Performs
Effective policy begins with the decision that an organization requires direction with respect to how to manage an issue. It is developed through a process of due diligence through which leaders are informed by relevant information and analysis leading to the selection and implementation of the management option that reflects the best opportunity to manage the issue in a way that will produce the best results for the organization and its clients. It is implemented by people who are engaged, knowledgeable, skilled, and equipped with appropriate tools. And, it is validated and/or refined using monitoring and evaluation information.
In this seminar, participant will learn how to identify and prioritize policy issues. They will work through the policy development process to produce policies that can be implemented and measured for desired results. Participants will develop a prioritized policy agenda and development plan.
Developing Policy that Performs is a required seminar for the Certificate in Policy Development and Implementation.
DATES - 2 Day Seminar
March 27 - 28, 2018
Introduction and overview to effective policy development and decision-making
- Recognizing Policy – Forms and Formats
- Using Policy – Policy Levels and Types
- Policy Impacts – Intended and Unintended Results
The Policy Cycle
- Agenda Setting – Prioritization & Planning Tools
- Development – Roles, Steps, Considerations
- Decision Making – Requirements
- Implementation – Roles, Steps, Strategies
- Evaluation – Criteria – Link to Agenda Setting, Development, and Decision-making
- Getting on the agenda
- Scoping the Issue
- Scanning the Environment
- Identifying and Assessing Options
- Forms of Engagement and Consultation
- Getting to the Decision
What You Will Learn
- What policy is and is not
- Who uses it policy and why
- What the policy cycle is, how it works, who is involved, and how to ensure it is designed to achieve results
- How to manage a policy development agenda
- How to identify, raise and prioritize issues for the policy agenda
- How to identify and prioritize policy issues
- How to develop policy options and recommendations
- How to manage the policy development decision-making process
Who Should Attend?
You will benefit from this seminar if you:
- are or wish to be involved in policy development as policy decision-maker, analyst, influencer, or an implementer.