Executive and Professional Development
Grammar, Punctuation and Proofreading Boot Camp
Commas, semi-colons, split infinitives, and typos. Atten-hut! Grammatical and proofreading errors call into question your ability and your organization's credibility. Getting it right builds confidence – for you and your reader. Grammar, Punctuation and Proofreading Boot Camp will help you understand modern English usage. The course will also explore the difference between American and British usage and what is accepted as the gold standard in Canada. Tips and techniques will be covered to enhance your use and understanding of the rules of grammar and punctuation. Proofreading techniques will also be discussed so that you can catch mistakes before your readers do. Participants are encouraged to bring their grammar gripes and proofreading peeves to class.
Participants will receive a copy of The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation: An Easy-to-Use Guide with Clear Rules, Real-World Examples, and Reproducible Quizzes by Jane Straus, Lester Kaufman, and Tom Stern.
Grammar, Punctuation and Proofreading Boot Camp is an elective seminar for the Certificate in Business Communications.
Completion of this seminar as part of the Certificate in Business Communications entitles you to register for Individual Writing Analysis.
DATES - 2 Day Seminar
June 18 - 19, 2018
- Common mistakes
- Tips for remembering what's right and what's not
- Pronoun use
- Plurals and possessives
- Subject/verb agreement
Is this correct: I believe in the power of you and I?
Style versus Usage
- What is grammatically correct?
- Acceptable business usage
- Current trends in business and email writing
Can you start a sentence with “And”?
- The dreaded comma
- Using the semi-colon, colon, and dash
- Hyphen hype
- Readers' expectations
- Using the US or UK model
Should you put a comma before “and” in a list?
Finding the Right Word
- Commonly misused words
- Unravel the confusion for good
We want to wet you appetite. Or do we?
Proofreading for Quality
- Proofreading versus editing
- Methods to catch mistakes before your readers do
- How to find glitches even after reading and re-reading
Disect this sentence; and fined the errors?
What You Will Learn
- Most common grammatical mistakes and how to avoid them
- How to proofread effectively
- Why readers really care about spelling, quotation marks, and misplaced modifiers
Who Should Attend?
You will benefit from this seminar if you:
- proofread other people's writing
- distribute information to customers and colleagues
- write as part of your job – everything from letters to memos to brochures to reports to newsletters