Executive and Professional Development
Essentials of Managing People
This program is designed for new managers in both public and private sectors who want to explore key issues in managing people. Managers in all departments play multiple roles without having formal education or orientation in human resources (HR) management. This program will provide an introduction to “people” management for frontline managers and specifically focus on talent selection and development. Motivation, engagement and retention of the team is a day to day responsibility and one that can make the difference between a functioning team and a high performing team . This two-day session will be a lively, interactive seminar where participants will share their own experiences and learn from each other.
Essentials of Managing People is an elective seminar for the Certificate in Skills for New Managers.
DATES - 2 Day Seminar
The January 17 - 18, 2018 session is full and registrations will be waitlisted. Participants are encouraged to register for the May session.
May 14 - 15, 2018
The Role of Human Resources Management in Every Manager's Job
- 80% of a manager's role is managing people and dealing with people issues
- Understand your responsibilities and liabilities in dealing with HR within your own departments
- Determining Training needs
- Developing a training plan
- Options for training delivery
- On the Job Training
- The Annual Cycle of Feedback
- Coaching for Success
- Progressive Discipline
Labour and Employee Relations
- Developing successful relationships
- Roles and responsibilities
- Breaking down Silos
Motivation and Engagement
- Understanding motivation
- Motivating the team and the individual
- Employee Satisfaction and Engagement Evaluation and Planning
- Increasing team engagement
- Developing leadership practices that facilitate engagement
Personal Plan of Action
- Each participant will leave with a personal plan of action to take forward into her/his role as a new manager.
What You Will Learn
- Clarifying the “people management” role of the leader
- Legal and ethical responsibilities in managing people
- How effective managers take on the role of "Employee Champion" and "talent manager" within their respective departments
- How to build a motivated and engaged team of high performers
- Develop a Personal Action Plan for human resource management
Who Should Attend?
You will benefit from this seminar if you:
- are contemplating a career in management
- are a professional and/or staff member who will be assuming a management position within your organization
- have moved into a management/leadership position in the recent past