Women and Gender Studies
Supervision Pay Procedures
Thesis Supervisor Payment Procedures For Cross-Supervision, Joint WGSMA Program
The following are payment procedures for WGSMA thesis supervisors who supervise a student whose thesis registration is at the other institution in the joint program (i.e., a student whose thesis registration is not at the faculty member's home institution).
Thesis Supervisor Payment Procedures For Cross-Supervision: SMU Faculty supervising MSVU Students
- The form for "appointment of thesis supervisor (external)" must be filed with the Office of the Dean of Graduate Studies at MSVU.
- Once the student registers for and begins their work on the thesis, the form "Chit Notification" should be completed and submitted to the Office of the Dean of Graduate Studies. This form can be obtained from Phoebe Smith, Secretary for MSVU Women's Studies or downloaded here: Chits Notification Form
- The Dean of Graduate Studies' office will confirm that the "appointment of thesis supervisor (external)" form is on file and everything is in order. A record will be kept indicating that the thesis supervision is in process and payment is pending.
- When the thesis has been defended, revised and a grade submitted the thesis supervisor should confirm via e-mail with the Dean of Graduate Studies' office that they would like the payment processed for the supervision of the thesis.
The Dean of Graduate Studies' office will process the payment through MSVU Payroll. You will need to fill out the following for this:
- a TD1 and a TD1NS tax forms, available on-line at http://www.msvu.ca/humanresources/forms/index.asp
- a Direct Deposit form and a Special Payment form available via Payroll or downloadable here: Direct Deposit Form and Special Payment Form
- *The Special Payment form needs to be signed by the Dean and then all these forms should be sent as a package to Payroll.
Questions about MSVU process should be directed to Cathy Haller, Administrative Assistant to the Dean of Graduate Studies, MSVU 902-457-6129
Thesis Supervisor Payment Procedures For Cross-Supervision: MSVU Faculty supervising SMU Students
- The SMU Graduate Coordinator should complete and sign BOTH a Casual Employment Form and a Fixed Remuneration Form: these 2 forms are available under Payroll Forms on the SMU Human Resources website.
- The following information should be provided on the Casual Employee Action form, to be signed by the external faculty member:
- Name, personal information, address, etc. of the supervisor (if the person is not a SMU employee, Payroll will need the personal details to create A# identity in Banner); a void cheque MUST be included to effect payment
- The following information should be shown on the Fixed Remuneration Form:
- Supervisor's identity
- Description of the work (including identity of the SMU student who was supervised, and their graduation date)
- Duration of the employment
- Appropriate compensation in accordance with Article 16.5.1 of SMU's Collective Agreement
- Banner budget code
- The forms should be signed by the SMU Graduate Coordinator, and submitted to the SMU Dean of Arts for approval, following which they can be processed through Payroll.
Questions about SMU process should be directed to Susan Hunt (Secretary, Faculty Appointments) Office of Vice-President, Academic and Research Saint Mary's University 902-420-5408.