Department of Sociology & Criminology
Honours Program Sociology
This is a selective program. Applicants for admission must:
- have completed at least 60 credit hours;
- have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00 out of 4.3;
- have a cumulative GPA in Sociology courses of 3.30 out of 4.3;
- have a faculty member‘s written agreement to serve as a supervisor for the honours thesis, SOCI 4601.
In exceptional circumstances, the Department may consider applicants who do not have a CGPA of 3.30 in Sociology courses (but who have a 3.00 overall).
The deadline for application is 1 April of the year before students wish to begin the honours program.
For honours in Sociology, students must complete sixty (60) credit hours as follows:
a. Major Core Courses
- SOCI 1210 Introductory Sociology (minimum grade of C)
- SOCI 2124 Social Inequality & Justice
- SOCI 3010 Classical Theory
- SOCI 3012 Contemporary Sociological Theory
- SOCI 3100 Qualitative Research Methods
- SOCI 3102 Quantitative Research Methods
b. Honours Core Courses:
- SOCI 4501 Advanced Theory
- SOCI 4503 Advanced Research Methods
- SOCI 4600 Honours Thesis Reserach Preparation
- SOCI 4601 Honours Thesis Writing
c. Eighteen (18) credit hours in Sociology at the 3000 level
d. Twelve (12) credit hours in Sociology at the 4000 level
To graduate, students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.30 in Sociology courses as well as earn a grade of B+ (3.30) in SOCI 4601.