Department of Sociology & Criminology
Dr. Diane Crocker - Profile
- Professor Full-Time Faculty
- Associate Dean, Student Affairs, Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research
Ph.D. (Sociology) York University, 2002
M.A (Sociology) York University, 1997
B.A. (Anthropology) Memorial University, 1992
Diane Crocker holds a Ph.D. in Sociology from York University. She is currently a Professor in the Department of Sociology and Criminology teaching courses in Criminology. Her research areas include restorative justice, rape culture, violence against women, criminal harassment and the use of law to address social problems, particularly those that disproportionately affect women. She has worked on projects in the following areas:
- The effects of the criminal harassment (stalking) law on victims of stalking;
- Restorative justice in youth criminal justice, prisons, and schools;
- Feminist waves in academe;
- Domestic violence policies and intervention programs;
- The politics of crime control.
Dr. Crocker has recently launched a new research project exploring how university students understand, negotiate and make meaning of "rape culture." She continues to explore questions related to measuring the success of criminal justice policies.
Research Projects and Grants
Making Sense of Rape Culture (current and ongoing)
- Grant, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (Insight Development Grant).
- Grant, Department of Community Services, Sexual Violence Strategy.
Canadian Domestic Homicide Prevention Initative (current and ongoing).
- Grant, Partnership Development, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council.
Evaluation of the Domestic Violence Court, Sydney, NS (current and ongoing)
- Research contract, Department of Justice, Nova Scotia
Nova Scotia Restorative Justice-Community University Research Alliance (completed)
- Grant, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (for more information see www.nsrj-cura.ca)
Evaluation of the Partners in Healing Project (completed)
- Research contract, John Howard Society of Northeastern New Brunswick
Evaluation of The Restorative Options for Youth in Care (completed)
- Research contract, Community Justice Society.
Canadian Observatory on the Justice System Response to Domestic Violence (completed)
- Grant, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council
- Crocker, Diane (accepted for publication) Balancing justice goals: Restorative justice practitioners' views Contemporary Justice Review.
- Russell, Scott and Diane Crocker (accepted for publicaton) The Institutionalization of Restorative Justice in Schools: A Critical Sensemaking Account Restorative Justice: An International Journal 4(2).
- Crocker, Diane and Vicki Chartrand (2015) "Prisoner Subjectivity and Resistance Through Restorative Justice" in Experiencing Prison edited by Rose Ricciardelli and Katharina Marer, London: Inter-Disciplinary Press.
- Crocker, Diane (2015) "Implementing and Evaluating Restorative Justice Projects in Prison", Criminal Justice Policy Review, 26(1): 45-64.
- Crocker, Diane (2013) "The effects of regulated discretion on police referrals to restorative justice" Dalhousie Law Journal, 36(2).
- Llewellyn, Jennifer J.; Bruce P. Archibald, Donald Clairmont and Diane Crocker (2013) "Imagining success for a Restorative Approach to Justice: Implications for Measurement and Evaluation" Dalhousie Law Journal. 36(2).
- Byers, Michele and Diane Crocker (2012) "Feminist Cohorts and Waves: Attitudes of junior female academics" , Women's Studies International Forum 35:1-11.
- Crocker, Diane (2012) Crime In Canada. Toronto: Oxford University Press.http://www.oupcanada.com/catalog/9780195432473.html
- Crocker, Diane and Johnson, Val Marie (2010) Poverty, Regulation and Social Justice: Readings on the Criminalization of Poverty. Halifax: Fernwood.
- Crocker Diane (2010) Counting Woman Abuse: A Cautionary Tale of Two Surveys. International Journal of Social Research Methodology. 13(3): 265-275 .
- Crocker, Diane and Byers, Michele (2009) A Place at the Table and A Voice in the Hall: "Third Wave" Feminists in the Canadian Academy. Atlantis. 33(2):19-31.
- Crocker, Diane (2008) Criminalizing Harassment and the Transformative Potential of Law. Canadian Journal of Women and the Law . 20(1): 87-100.
- Crocker, Diane, Alexandra Dobrowolsky, Edna Keeble, Carmen Celina Moncayo and Evie Tastsoglou (2007) Security and Immigration, Changes and Challenges: Immigrant and Ethnic Communities in Atlantic Canada, Presumed Guilty?(Ottawa: Status of Women Canada) 139 pp.
- Crocker, Diane (2005) Regulating Intimacy: Judicial Discourse in Cases of Wife Assault (1970-2000). Violence Against Women : An International and Interdisciplinary Journal. 11(2): 197-226.
- Crocker, Diane (2004) Criminal Harassment: Understanding Criminal Justice Outcomes for Victims, Department of Justice Canada, 61 pp.
- Criminology 2304 - Canadian Criminal Justice System
- Sociology/Criminology 3102 - Quantitative Research Methods
- Criminology 3205 - Restorative Justice in Theory
- Criminology 4205 - Restorative Justice in Practice
- Sociology/Criminology 4450 - Practicum in Community Development