Department of Geology
J. Victor Owen
Ph.D., 1985, Memorial University of Newfoundland
Office: Science Building, S417
Contact: J. Victor Owen
- Metamorphic petrology; structural geology
- Petrology of high-grade gneisses and granitoid rocks in the southeastern Canadian Shield and northern Appalachians
- Geochemistry of archaeological ceramics and glass
- GEOL 1200: Understanding the Earth
- GEOL 1201: The Dynamic Earth
- GEOL 3413: Structural Geology
- GEOL 3313: Metamorphic Petrology
- GEOL 4450: Advanced Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology
Summary of Current Interests
My research interests center on the application of quantitative petrological methods to crystalline rocks and archaeological ceramics and glass. To that end, my students and I have made contributions to the study of high grade metamorphic rocks, and the geochemistry of 18th-19th century porcelain and glass artifacts from archaeological sites.
120. Owen, J.V. and Hanley, J.J. (accepted) Bartlam porcelain re-created. American Ceramic Circle Journal.
119. Owen, J.V., Petrus, J. and Yang, X. 2016. Bonnin and Morris revisited: the geochemistry of a true-porcelain punch bowl excavated in Philadelphia. Ceramics in America 2016, 200-219.
118. Owen, J.V., Greenough, J.D. and Panes, N. 2016. Statistical evaluation of analytical data for 18th century American and British sulphurous phosphatic porcelains. Ceramics in America 2016, 162-178.
117. Owen, J.V., Greenough, J.D., Himmelman, M. and Powell, S. 2016. Geochemistry of pre-contact potsherds from southern mainland Nova Scotia: constraints on pottery pathways. Canadian Journal of Archaeology 40, 231-267.
116. Greenough, J.D. and Owen, J.V. (accepted) A laser ablation study of some 18th century Germanic-American glass; Amelung, Stiegel and Wistarburgh. Submitted to Industrial Archaeology.
115. Owen, J.V., Forfa, D. and Greenough, J.D. 2014. Geochemical and mineralogical constraints on the provenance of L’sitkuk pottery from the Annapolis Basin, Nova Scotia. Canadian Journal of Archaeology 38, 76-105.
114. Owen, J.V., Greenough, J.D. and Straube, B. 2014. Compositional characteristics of Jamestown “tryal” glass (Virginia, c. 1608). Historical Archaeology 48, 76-94
113. Panes, N., Howard, R., and Owen, J.V. 2013. Attribution Enhanced – Isleworth pieces put under the microscope. English Ceramic Circle Transactions 24, 89-116.
112. Owen, J.V. and Greenough, J.D. 2014. Igneous Rock Associations 12. A geologist’s look at archaeological ceramics and glass. Geoscience Canada 41(1), 46-56.
111. Dostal, J., Owen, J.V., Gerel, O., Keppie, J.D., Corney, R., Shellnutt, J.G. and MacRae, A. 2014. The 186 Ma Dashibalbar alkaline granitoid pluton in the North-Gobi Rift of central Mongolia: evidence for melting of Neoproterozoic basement above a plume. American Journal of Science 314, 613-648.
110. Owen, J.V. and Panes, N. 2012. Bow and 'A'-marked porcelain: a tangible link from the Stratford (east London) factory site. English Ceramic Circle Transactions 23, 153-162.
109. Owen, J.V. and Yang, X. 2013. Wherefore and why: geochemical insights on the longevity of William Littler’s “frit” porcelain (Staffordshire and Scotland, c. 1750-1785). American Ceramic Circle Journal XVII, 48-73.
108. Owen, J.V., Casey, J., Greenough, J.D. and Godfrey-Smith, D. 2013. Mineralogical and geochemical constraints on the sediment sources of Late Stone Age pottery from the Birimi site, northern Ghana. Geoarchaeology 28, 394-411.
107. Owen, J.V., Lorenzen, D. and Saulnier, T. 2012. Lorenzen pottery: 50 years in the making. Material Culture Review 76, 93-107.
106. Panes, N. and Owen, J.V. 2012. Possible American 18th century porcelain finds in England. English Ceramic Circle Transactions 23, 11-30.
105. Owen, J.V. 2012. Double corona structures in 18th century porcelain (1st patent Bow, London, c. 1744-1749): a record of partial melting and subsolidus reactions. Canadian Mineralogist 50, 1255-1264.
104. Owen, J.V. 2011. What analytical data can (and cannot) tell us about 18th century fine ceramics. English Ceramic Circle Transactions 22, 215-230.
103. Panes, N. and Owen, J.V. 2010. Attribution enhanced – a Bovey Tracey sauceboat. English Ceramic Circle Transactions 21, 125-134.
102.Owen, J.V., Meek, A. and Hoffman, W. 2011. Geochemistry of sauceboats excavated from Independence National Historical Park (Philadelphia): evidence for a Bonnin and Morris (c. 1770-73) provenance and implications for the development of nascent American porcelain wares. Journal of Archaeological Science 38, 2340-2351.
101. Owen, J.V., Hunter, R., Zierden, M. and Jellicoe, R. 2011. Microstructures in phosphatic porcelain from sintering to vitrification: evidence from sherds excavated in Charleston, South Carolina. Geoarchaeology 26, 292-313.
100. Owen, J.V. and Greenough, J.D. 2010. Mineralogical and geochemical characterization of 18th century Moravian pottery from North Carolina. Ceramics in America 2010, pp. 168-187
99. Owen, J.V., Corney, R., Dostal, J. and Vaughan, A. 2010. Significance of gneissic rocks from the Liscomb Complex, Nova Scotia. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 47, pp. 927-940
98. Owen, J.V. and Hunter, R. 2009. Too little, too late: the geochemistry of a 1773 Philadelphia openwork porcelain basket. Journal of Archaeological Sciences 36, 333-342.
97. Owen, J.V. and Powell, S.2008. Did the Lamont Glass Company (Trenton, NS, ca. 1890-97) produce pressed pattern glass? Conflicting evidence from artifacts and folklore. Material Culture Review 68, 7-18.
96. Owen, J.V. and Greenough, J.D. 2008. Influence of Potsdam sandstone on the trace element signatures of some 19th century American and Canadian glass: Redwood, Redford, Mallorytown, and Como-Hudson. Geoarchaeology 23. 587-607
95. Owen, J.V. and Boudreau, J. 2008. A new look at Deichmann pottery, Moss Glen, New Brunswick (1935-1963). Fusion 32(1), p. 8-9.
94. Owen, J.V. 2007. Geochemistry of high-fired Bartlam wares. Ceramics in America 2007, 209-218.
93. Owen, J.V., Dostal, J. and Fisera, M. 2007. Mineralogical controls on the distribution of trace elements in metasomatized peridotite enclaves from Planany, Czech Republic. Mineralogical Magazine 71, 81-91.
92. Owen, J.V., Dostal, J. and LaRocque, P. 2007. Geochemistry of Saint John Glass c. 1875-78, In: Reconstructing Human-Landscape Interactions. Refereed Symposium Volume ( Developments in Geoarchaeology, Saint John, NB, Oct. 2005), Cambridge Scholar's Press.
91. Owen, J.V. 2007. A new classification scheme for 18th century American and British soft-paste porcelains. Ceramics in America 2007, 121-140.
90. Owen, J.V. and Dostal. J. 2006. Phase equilibrium constraints on kiln temperatures at the Eby pottery (ca. 1857-1905), Conestogo, Ontario. Canadian Mineralogist 44, 1257-1266.
89. Owen, J.V., Irwin, K.L., Flint, C.L. and Greenough, J.D. 2005. Trace element constraints on the source of silica sand used by the Boston and Sandwich Glass Co. (c. 1826-1888), Massachusetts. Industrial Archaeology 31, 39-56.
88. Jutras, P., MacRae, A., Owen, J.V., Dostal., J., Preda, M. and Prichonnet, G. 2005. Carbonate melting and peperite formation at the intrusive contact between large mafic dykes and clastic sediments of the Upper Palaeozoic Saint-Jules Formation, New-Carlisle, Quebec. Geological Journal 41, 23-48.
87. Owen, J.V. and Culhane, P. 2005. Pyrometamorphism of 19th-century kiln artifacts from Caledonia Springs, Ontario. Geoarchaeology 20, 777-796.
86. Dostal, J., Owen, J.V., Church, B,.N. and Hamilton, T.S. 2005. Episodic volcanism in the Buck Creek complex (central British Columbia, Canada): A history of magmatism and mantle evolution from the Jurassic to the early Tertiary. International Geology Review 47, 551-572.
85. Owen, J.V. 2004. From the ground up: Authenticating early Canadian glass using analytical data for sherds excavated from historical glassworks sites. Canadian Bottle and Stoneware Collector 9(1), 28-33.
84. Owen, J.V. 2004. Geochemistry of Wistarburgh glass (ca. 1739-1777): implications for batch recipes and distinction from other south Jersey glass wares. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 41, 683-697.
83. Owen, J.V. and Hillis, M. 2003. From London to Liverpool: evidence for a Limehouse - Reid porcelain connection based on the analysis of sherds from the Brownlow Hill factory site. Geoarchaeology 18, 851-882.
82. Owen, J.V. 2003. Geochemical characteristics of alleged Mallorytown glass (c. 1839-40) in the Royal Ontario Museum and its distinction from contemporary upstate New York glassware. Canadian Journal of Archaeology 27, 287-308.
81. Owen, J.V. 2003. Streets Paved with Gold: Fortress of Louisbourg on Early Maps. Mercator's World 8(2), 40-45.
80. Owen, J.V. 2003. The geochemistry of Worcester porcelain from Dr. Wall to Royal Worcester: 150 years of innovation. Historical Archaeology 37(4), 84-96.
79. Owen, J.V. and Sandon, J. 2003. A rose by any other name: a geochemical comparison of Caughley (c. 1772-1799) and Coalport (John Rose & Co.; c. 1799-1837) porcelains, based on sherds from the factory sites. Post-Medieval Archaeology 37(1), 79-89.
78. Greenough, J.D. and Owen, J.V. 2002. A petrochemical study of layering in basalts at Henley Harbour, Labrador, using multi-dimensional scaling. Atlantic Geology 38, 161-172.
77. Owen, J.V., Longstaffe, F.J. and Greenough, J.D. 2003. Petrology of sapphirine granulite and associated sodic gneisses from the Indian Head Range, Newfoundland. Lithos 68, 91-114.
76. Heaman, L.M., Erdmer, P. and Owen, J.V. 2002. U-Pb constraints on the crustal evolution of the Long Range Inlier, Newfoundland. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 39, 845-865.
75. Ings, S. and Owen, J.V. 2002. "Decompressional" reaction textures formed by isobaric heating: an example from the thermal aureole of the Taylor Brook gabbro complex, Newfoundland. Mineralogical Magazine 66, 941-951.
74. Owen, J.V. 2002. Antique Porcelain 101: A Primer on the Chemical Analysis and Interpretation of Eighteenth-Century British Wares Ceramics in America 2002, 39-61.
73. Owen, J. V. and Rainey, W. 2002. Compositional and mineralogical fingerprinting of 18th-19th century earthenware from eastern Canadian potworks and archaeological sites. Canadian Journal of Archaeology 26, 175-196.
72. Krogh, T., Kamo, S, Gower, C.F., and Owen, J.V. 2002. Augmentation and reassessment of geochronological data for the Labradorian-Grenvillian Front, Smokey archipelago, Labrador. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 39, 831-843.
71. Owen, J.V. 2001. The Como-Hudson factories (c. 1845-77): results of geochemical analyses for Quebec's first known glassworks. Canadian Journal of Archaeology 25, 74-97.
70. Owen, J.V. 2001. Provenience of 18th-century British porcelain sherds from sites 3B and 4E, Fortress of Louisbourg, Nova Scotia: constraints from mineralogy, bulk paste, and glaze compositions. Historical Archaeology 35, 108-121.
69. Owen, J.V. 2001 Geochemical distinctions between Bonnin and Morris porcelain (Philadelphia, 1770-72) and some contemporary phosphatic British wares. Geoarchaeology 16, 785-802.
68. Owen, J.V. 2002. No Smooth Sailing: The Once and Future Northwest Passage. Mercator's World 7(1), 30-37.
67. Owen, J.V. 2001. Carving up America. Mercator's World 6(3), 22-27.
66. Owen, J.V. 2000. Margins for Errors: Manuscript Notations in The Atlantic Neptune. Mercator's World 5(4), 42-45.
65. Owen, J.V. and Greenough, J.D. 2000. Les Chateaux in the Mist: A Cartographic and Navigational Landmark on the Labrador coast. Mercator's World 5(1), 26-33.
64. Owen, J.V. and Greenough, J.D. 2000. Petrology of the Cormacks Lake complex, Newfoundland: decompressional reaction relations in cordierite+orthoamphibole-bearing gneisses and associated rocks. Mineralogical Magazine 64, 711-724.
63. Owen, J.V. 2000. Geochemistry of phosphatic- and silicious/aluminous-porcelain sherds from the Coalport factory site. [Appendix to a larger report by D. Barker and W. Horton] Post-Medieval Archaeology 33, 82-87.
62. Owen, J.V., Adams, B., and Stephenson, R. 2000. Nicholas Crisp's porcellien: a petrological comparison of sherds from the Vauxhall (London; c. 1751-1764) and Indeo Pottery (Bovey Tracey, Devonshire; c. 1767-1774) factory sites. Geoarchaeology 15, 43-78.
61. Mallory-Greenough, L.M., Greenough, J.D., and Owen, J.V. 2000. The origin and use of basalt in Old Kingdom funerary temples. Geoarchaeology 15, 315-330.
60. Mallory-Greenough, L.M., Greenough, J.D., Gorton, M.P. and Owen, J.V. 2000. The use of plagioclase and augite analyses for fingerprinting ancient Egyptian basalt quarries: application to pottery provenance. Journal of the Society for the Study of Egyptian Antiquities 26, 42-66.
59. Owen, J.V. 2000. A preliminary assessment of the geochemistry of porcelain sherds from the Limehouse factory site, London. [Technical Appendix in Museum of London monograph 6 "The Limehouse Porcelain Manufactory, written by K. Tyler and R. Stephenson, p. 61-63].
58. Owen, J.V. and Williams, P. 1999. Compositional constraints on the provenance of a true-porcelain chocolate mug from the Rockingham Inn (c. 1796-1833) site, Bedford, Nova Scotia. Canadian Journal of Archaeology 23, 51-62.
57. Owen, J.V. and Morrison, M.L. 1999. Sagged Nantgarw porcelain (1813-1820): casualty of overfiring or a fertile paste? Geoarchaeology 14, 313-332.
56. Mallory-Greenough, L.M., Greenough, J.D., Dobosi, G. and Owen, J.V. 1999. Fingerprinting ancient Egyptian quarries: preliminary results using laser ablation microprobe-inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry. Archaeometry 41, 227-238.
55. De Jong, L.M. and Owen, J.V. 1999. Reproducibility of bulk microprobe data for fine-grained media: a case study using bone china. Canadian Mineralogist 37, 239-246.
54. Mallory-Greenough, L.M., Greenough, J.D. and Owen, J.V. 1999. The stone source of predynastic basalt vessels: mineralogical evidence for quarries in northern Egypt. Journal of Archaeological Science 26, 1261-1272.
53. Greenough, J.D., Krogh, T.E., Kamo, S., Owen, J.V. and Ruffman, A. 1999. Precise U-Pb dating of Meguma basement xenoliths: new evidence for Avalonian underthrusting. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 36, 15-22.
52. Owen, J.V. and Greenough, J.D. 1999. Scapolite pegmatite from the Minas fault, Nova Scotia: tangible manifestation of Carboniferous, evaporite-derived hydrothermal fluids in the western Cobequid highlands? Mineralogical Magazine 63, 387-397.
51. Owen, J.V. and Day, T.E. 1998. Eighteenth century phosphatic porcelains: Bow and Lowestoft - Further confirmation of their compositional distinction. English Ceramic Circle Transactions16(3), 342-344.
50. Owen, J.V. and Sandon, J. 1998. Petrological characteristics of Gilbody, Pennington, and Christian/Pennington (18th century Liverpool) porcelains and their distinction from some contemporary phosphatic and magnesian/plombian British wares. Journal of Archaeological Science 25, 1131-1147.
49. Greenough, J.D. and Owen, J.V. 1998. Igneous layering in a dacite: on the origin and significance of Layer Cake Mountain, Kelowna, B.C., Canada. Mineralogical Magazine 62, 731-742.
48. Dostal, J. and Owen, J.V. 1998. Cretaceous alkaline lamprophyres from northeastern Czech Republic: geochemistry and petrogenesis. Geologische Rundschau 87, 67-77.
47. Owen, J.V. and Day, T.E. 1998. Assessing and correcting the effects of the chemical weathering of potsherds: a case study using soft-paste porcelain wasters from the Longton Hall (Staffordshire) factory site. Geoarchaeology 13, 265-286.
46. Owen, J.V. 1998. On the earliest products (c. 1751-52) of the Worcester porcelain manufactory: evidence from sherds from the Warmstry House site, England. Historical Archaeology 32, 60-72.
45. Owen, J.V., Wilstead, J.O., Williams, R. and Day, T.E. 1998. A tale of two cities: compositional characteristics of some Nantgarw and Swansea porcelains and their implications for kiln wastage. Journal of Archaeological Science 25, 359-375.
44. Mallory-Greenough, L.M., Greenough, J.D., and Owen, J.V. 1998. Provenance of a New Kingdom, Egyptian pottery sherd: evidence from the petrology and mineralogy of basaltic temper. Geoarchaeology 13, 391-410.
43. Mallory-Greenough, L.M., Greenough, J.D., and Owen, J.V. 1998. New data for old pots: trace element characterization of ancient Egyptian pottery using ICP-MS. Journal of Archaeological Science 25, 85-97.
42. Fryer, B.J., J.D. Greenough and J.V. Owen. 1997. Iapetus Ocean floor stuffed into a suture zone: Xenolith Nd isotopic evidence for Dunnage-equivalent basement in central Newfoundland. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 34, 1392-1400.
41. Owen, J.V. 1997. Quantification of early Worcester porcelain recipes and the distinction between Dr. Wall- and Flight-period wares. Journal of Archaeological Science 24, 301-310.
40. Wasteneys, H.A., Kamo, S.L., Moser, D., Krogh, T.E., Gower, C.F. and Owen, J.V. 1997. U-Pb geochronological constraints on the geological evolution of the Pinware terrane and adjacent areas, Grenville Province, southeast Labrador, Canada. Precambrian Research 81, 101-128.
39. Owen, J.V. and Greenough, J.V. 1997. Migmatites from Grenville, Quebec: metamorphic P-T-X conditions from transitional amphibolite/granulite facies rocks. Lithos 39, 195-208.
38. Owen, J.V. and Barkla, R. 1997. Compositional characteristics of 18th C Derby porcelains: recipe changes, phase transformations and melt fertility. Journal of Archaeological Science 24, 127-140.
37. Owen, J.V. and Dostal, J.V. 1996. Contrasting corona structures in mafic granulite from the Blansky Les complex, Bohemian Massif, Czech Republic. Canadian Mineralogist 34, 959-966.
36. Owen, J.V. and Dostal, J. 1996. Prograde metamorphism and decompression of the Gfohl gneiss, Czech Republic. Lithos 38, 259-270.
35. Dostal, J., Caby, R., Dupuy, C., Mevel, C. and Owen, J.V. 1996. Inception and demise of a Neoproterozoic ocean basin: evidence from the Ougda complex, western Hoggar (Algeria). Geologisch Rundschau 85, 619-631.
34. Owen, J.V. and Hansen, D. 1996. Compositional constraints on the identification of 18th century ceramic sherds from Fort Beauséjour (New Brunswick) and Grassy Island (Nova Scotia), Canada. Historical Archaeology 30, 88-100.
33. Church, B.N., Dostal, J., Owen, J.V. and Pettipas, A.R. 1995. Late Paleozoic gabbroic rocks of the Bridge River accretionary complex, southwestern British Columbia: geology and geochemistry. Geologisch Rundschau 84, 710-719.
32. Greenough, J.D., Fryer, B.J. and Owen, J.V. 1995. Mantle processes affecting the concentrations of Au, Pd, Pt, Rh, Ru and Ir in mafic magmas: constraints from alkaline lamprophyres of Atlantic Canada. An. Acad. bras. Ci, 67 (supl. 2), 235-255.
31. Owen, J.V. and Greenough, J.D. 1995. Petrology of cordierite+gedrite-bearing sodic granulite from the Grenvillian Long Range Inlier, Newfoundland. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 32, 1035-1045.
30. Greenough, J.D. and Owen, J.V. 1995. The role of subcontinental lithospheric mantle in massif-type anorthosite petrogenesis: Evidence from the jotunitic Red Bay pluton, Labrador. Schweiz. Mineral. Petrog. Mitt. 75, 1-15.
29. Owen, J.V. and Greenough, J.D. 1995. Influence of the mode and distribution of garnet and biotite on Grt-Bt thermometry: evidence from a single-sample case study. Mineralogical Magazine 59, 497-504.
28. Owen, J.V. and Greenough, J.D. 1994. Recrystallization of quartzofeldspathic rocks in a Paleozoic thrust belt, Grand Lake, Newfoundland: implications for garnet-biotite thermometry. Lithos 33, 225-239.
27. Owen, J.V., Dostal, J. and Church, B.N. 1994. Mineralogic reaction zones at a calc-silicate/metapelite interface: an example of trace element mobility in a metamorphic environment. Mineralogical Magazine 58, 205-214.
26. Owen, J.V. and Day, T. 1994. Estimation of the bulk composition of fine-grained media from microchemical and backscatter-image analysis: application to biscuit wasters from the Bow factory site, London. Archaeometry 36, 217-226.
25. Greenough, J.D., Owen, J.V., and Ruffman, A. 1993. Noble metal concentrations in shoshonitic lamprophyres: Analysis of the Weekend dykes, eastern shore, Nova Scotia, Canada. Journal of Petrology 34, 1247-1269.
24. Owen, J.V. 1993. Syn-metamorphic element transfer across lithological boundaries in the Port-aux-Basques gneiss complex, Newfoundland. Lithos 29, 217-233.
23. Owen, J.V., Greenough, J.D., Fryer, B.J., and Longstaffe, F.J. 1992. Petrogenesis of the Potato Hill pluton, Newfoundland: transpression during the Grenvillian orogenic cycle? Journal of the Geological Society of London 149, 923-935.
22. Greenough, J.D. and Owen, J.V. 1992. Platinum-group element geochemistry of continental tholeiites: Analysis of the Long Range dyke swarm, Newfoundland, Canada. Chemical Geology 98, 203-219.
21. Owen, J.V. 1992. Comparative petrology of gneissic rocks in southwestern Newfoundland. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 29, 2663-2676.
20. Owen, J.V. 1992. Geochemistry of orbicular diorite from the Grenville Front zone, eastern Labrador. Mineralogical Magazine 56, 451-458.
19. Greenough, J.D. and Owen, J.V. 1992. Platinum group element geochemistry of continental tholeiites: Analysis of the Long Range dyke swarm, Newfoundland, Canada. Chemical Geology 98, 203-219.
18. Owen, J.V. and Currie, K.L. 1991. The Disappointment Hill complex: Proterozoic granulites in southwestern Newfoundland. Transactions of the Royal Society of Edinburgh 82, 55-63.
17. Owen, J.V., Greenough, J.D. and Fryer, B.J. 1991. The nature of sialic basement to the Dunnage zone, northern Newfoundland: evidence from crustal xenoliths. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 28, 1073-1077.
16. Owen, J.V. and Greenough, J.D. 1991. An empirical sapphirine-spinel Mg-Fe exchange thermometer and its application to high grade xenoliths in the Popes Harbour dyke, Nova Scotia, Canada. Lithos 26, 317-332.
15. Owen, J.V. 1991. Cordierite + spinel parageneses in pelitic gneiss from the contact aureoles of the Mistastin batholith (Quebec) and the Taylor Brook gabbro complex (Newfoundland). Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 28, 372-381.
14. Owen, J.V. 1991. Significance of epidote in orbicular diorite from the Grenville Front zone, eastern Labrador. Mineralogical Magazine 55, 173-181.
13. Owen, J.V. and Marr, R.A. 1990. Contrasting garnet parageneses in a composite Grenvillian granitoid pluton, Newfoundland. Mineralogical Magazine 54, 367-380.
12. Owen, J.V. and Erdmer, P. 1990. Middle Proterozoic geology of the Long Range Inlier, Newfoundland: regional significance and tectonic implications. In Gower, C.F., Rivers, T. and Ryan, A.B. (editors). Mid-Proterozoic Laurentia-Baltica. G.A.C./M.A.C. Special Paper 38, 215-231.
11. Owen, J.V. 1989. Determination of the finite-strain ellipsoid from deformed porphyroblastic mineral aggregates and preferentially oriented feldspars in a mylonitized metamafic dyke. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 26, 2333-2340.
10. Owen, J.V. 1989. Metasomatically altered amphibolite inclusions in zoned granitic-tonalitic pegmatite near Chicoutimi, Quebec. Canadian Mineralogist 27, 315-321.
9. Owen, J.V. and Erdmer, P. 1989. Metamorphic geology and regional geothermobarometry of a Grenvillian massif: the Long Range Inlier, Newfoundland. Precambrian Research 43, 79-100.
8. Owen, J.V., Greenough, J.D. and Bellefontaine, K.A. 1989. Preservation of primary geochemical signatures in polymetamorphosed tholeiite: The Long Range dyke swarm, Newfoundland. Lithos 24, 55-64.
7. Owen, J.V. 1988. Geochemical changes accompanying the mylonitization of diverse rock types from the Grenville Front zone, eastern Labrador. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 25, 1472-1484.
6. Owen, J.V., Greenough, J.D., Hy, C. and Ruffman, A. 1988. Xenoliths in a mafic dyke at Popes Harbour, Nova Scotia: implications for the basement to the Meguma Group. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 25, 1464-1471.
5. Greenough, J.D., Ruffman, A. and Owen, J.V. 1988. Magma injection directions inferred from a fabric study of the Popes Harbour dike, eastern shore, Nova Scotia, Canada. Geology, 16, 547-550.
4. Owen, J.V., Dallmeyer, R.D., Gower, C.F. and Rivers, T. 1988. Metamorphic conditions and 40Ar/39Ar geochronologic contrasts across the Grenville Front zone, coastal Labrador, Canada. Lithos 21, 13-35.
3. Owen, J.V., Rivers, T., and Gower, C.F., 1986. The Grenville Front on the Labrador coast. In Moore, J.M., Davidson, A. and Baer, A.J. (editors), The Grenville Province, G.A.C./M.A.C. Special Publication 31, 95-106.
2. Gower, C.F. and Owen, V. 1984. Pre-Grenvillian and Grenvillian lithotectonic regions in eastern Labrador - correlations with the Sveconorwegian orogenic belt in Sweden. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 21, 678-693.
1. De Rosen-Spence, A.F., Provost, G., Dimroth, E., Gochnauer, K., and Owen, V. 1980. Archean subaqueous felsic flows, Rouyn- Noranda, Quebec, Canada and their Quaternary equivalents. Precambrian Research 12, 43-77.
Owen, J.V. 1999. Review of Materials Analysis of Byzantine Pottery, Antiquity 73, 966-967.
Owen, J.V. and Erdmer, P. 1988. The Grenvillian Long Range Inlier of the Great Northern Peninsula, Newfoundland. Geological Association of Canada /Mineralogical Association of Canada, Annual Meeting, St. John's, Nfld. May, 1988. Field Trip Guidebook for Trip B7. 36 pp.
Owen, J.V. 1991. Geology of the Long Range Inlier, Newfoundland. Geological Survey of Canada, Bulletin 395, 88 pp., 1 map (1:250,000 scale).
Owen, J.V. 1989. Géologie de la région du lac Lief, Nouveau Quebec. Ministère de l'Energie et des Ressources (Québec), Rapport Interimaire ET 87 18, 48 pp., 3 maps (1:50,000 scale).
Owen, J.V. 1987 Geology of the central part of the Long Range Inlier, western Newfoundland. Geological Survey of Canada, Open File 1505.
Owen, J.V. and Machin, D.C. 1987. Petrography and geochemistry of some mafic dykes in the Long Range Inlier, western Newfoundland. In Current Research, Part A, Geological Survey of Canada, Paper 87 1A, p. 305 316.
Owen, J.V., Campbell, J.E.M. and Dennis, F.A.R. 1987. Geology of the Lake Michel area, Long Range Inlier, western Newfoundland. In Current Research, Part A, Geological Survey of Canada, Paper 87 1A, p. 643 652.
Owen, J.V. and Erdmer, P. 1986. Precambrian and Paleozoic metamorphism in the Long Range Inlier, western Newfoundland. In Current Research, Part B. Geological Survey of Canada, Paper 86 1B, p. 29 38.
Owen, J.V. 1986. Geology of the Silver Mountain area (12H/11), western Newfoundland ; Geological Survey of Canada, Open File 1279.
Owen, J.V. 1986. Geology of the Silver Mountain area, western Newfoundland. In Current Research, Part A., Geological Survey of Canada, Paper 86 1A, p. 515 522.
Owen, V. 1984. Géologie de la région du lac Lief, Nouveau Québec; Ministère de l'Energie et des Ressources (Québec), Rapport préliminaire, DP 84 55.
Owen, V., Gower, C.F., and Finn, G. 1983. Table Bay. Mineral Development Division, Newfoundland Department of Mines and Energy, Map 83 46 (1:100,000).
Owen, V. and Rivers, T. 1983. Geology of the Smokey archipelago, Grenville Front zone, Labrador. In Current Research, Part A, Geological Survey of Canada, Paper 83 1A, p. 153 161.
Owen, V., Dimroth, E., and Woussen, G. 1980. The old gneiss complex east of Chicoutimi, Quebec. In Current Research, Part A, Geological Survey of Canada, Paper 80 1A, 137 146.