Department of Geography and Environmental Studies
Geology/Geography Combined Programs
These programs offer Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Science (Honours) degrees, emphasizing environmental Earth Science, under the general requirements of the Faculty of Science. The geology/geography major program requires a minimum grade of C in all geology and geography courses. The geology/geography Honours program requires (a) a minimum grade of C in all geology and geography courses; and (b) a minimum quality point average of 3.00 in these same courses.
Geology/Geography Major Program (Bachelor of Science)
i. At least thirty-six (36) credit hours from the list of geology courses under ‘Double Major and Honours’ in the Geology section of the Academic Calendar.
ii. At least thirty-six (36) geography credit hours including:
- GEOG 1200 People, Place and Environment
- GEOG 1100 Global Perspectives on Land and Life
- GEOG 2325 Sedimentology [GEOL 2325]
- GEOG 2306 Geospatial Concepts
- GEOG 2386 Introduction to Mapping and GIS
- GEOG 2313 Geomorphology [GEOL 2373]
iii. At least twelve (12) credit hours from:
- GEOG 2315 The Oceans
- GEOG 2333 Biogeography
- GEOG 2343 Weather and Climate
- GEOG 3433 Fluvial Geomorphology
- GEOG 4413 Coastal Geomorphology [GEOL 4476]
- GEOG 4423 Glaciers and Glaciation [GEOL 4475]
- GEOG 4443 Natural Hazards
Six (6) additional credit hours in geography from Group B or C courses.
Geology/Geography Honours Program (Bachelor of Science: Honours)
In addition to the requirements for the major listed above, Honours students must complete:
i. GEOL 4550 Honours Project or GEOG 4526 Honours Thesis;
ii. six (6) additional credit hours in geology from the list of geology courses under “Double Major and Honours” above; and
iii. GEOG 4406 Capstone Seminar in Geography
In the Honours Bachelor of Science geology/geography program, topics for Honours projects should be approved by both Departments and may be carried out in either Department.
Geography Major (Bachelor of Arts) with a Minor in Geology
1. A Bachelor of Arts degree students may major in geography with a minor in geology by fulfilling the requirements for a minor as listed in the Geology section of the Academic Calendar.
2. Students accepted into the Geology minor program will be allowed to count twenty-four (24) credit-hours in Geology towards their Arts degree requirements.